Norway: winter clothing, shore excursions

milo.jarrah

Sounds perfect! I don't want to miss the lights - it's what I'm going for - so want the best chance of seeing them. Having said that, I don't want to waste money going on a trip if you can see them just as well from the comfort of the ship.

The problem is that you can't guarantee them. Our friends on board went on the trip to see them and their photos are much more vivid than mine because of the light pollution in the harbour area. Whatever happens just enjoy it! I hope you have a great cruise.

We went to see the Northern Lights in Feb/March a couple of years ago - although not with P&O. We spent much of our daylight cruising hours on deck taking photos and although it was mostly sunny there was little wind, the speed of the ship made it feel very, very cold. I needed padded trousers and over-trousers, silk liner gloves and fur lined mitts, and managed with 2 pairs of socks and walking shoes. At the North cape it was windy and I needed a pair of snow boots, 2 pairs gloves and also mitts, as well as a good windproof mountaineering jacket & 3 pairs trousers + a fur-lined hat with ear flaps over my beanie hat.

When dog sledding at Kirkenes, it was much of the same gear & it was only -12c and there was ice on the sea.

To us, the most important items were good quality polarized sun glasses that cover the eyebrows and the sides of the eyes. In the snow and with sunshine, it is dazzlingly bright. Another must is a good quality lip protection. I forgot to use it and my lips were cracked and painful for weeks after exposure to the sun and cold.

For photos of the Northern Lights I used a decent compact digital camera, with a hand held 4 sec exposure and got some good photos. Some folk with large DSLR's and tripods failed to get any as it frequently became chaotic on deck, with people pushing and shoving.

You will enjoy it, it's a fabulous place

Sounds perfect! I don't want to miss the lights - it's what I'm going for - so want the best chance of seeing them. Having said that, I don't want to waste money going on a trip if you can see them just as well from the comfort of the ship.

Staying on the ship and not seeing them will 'waste' the cost of the whole cruise ;)

The companies organising the trips are in constant radio contact with base stations and will take you to where there is the best chance of seeing the lights.

Of course there is always the chance that you will be unlucky whether on the ship or on a tour but by taking a tour you do increase the odds of seeing them.

Just as an aside, away from the light pollution the views of the night sky were absolutely stunning.

I can recommend the snowmobiling trip which also includes the Ice hotel.

We booked with Glod for Alta and Northern Lights Tromso, smaller groups, which gave us more flexibility to 'chase' the lights.

That's what I'm concerned about - the light pollution. Decisions, decisions. :) I guess you stand more chance away from the harbour.

I don't know how P&O organise things when the Northern Lights appear when at sea, but I got all my photos of them when cruising during the night. With Hurtigruten we were informed by the cabin telephone (if requested) when the lights were visible and we hurriedly dressed and went out on deck. Some people stood out on deck for hours on clear nights in the hope of seeing something. The crew switched off most of the outside lights for us and we got a fabulous display with no light pollution. Admittedly, the best show was after 11.00pm, but it was worthwhile. We only saw the Northern Lights twice (on the same night) out of 11 nights, yet our friends who had been on a 6 night trip saw them 5 nights in a row.

Thank you for the info. I'll have to hope the lights want to come out to play.

Yes, that is really all we can do :) This is top of my 'bucket list' and I decided I should do it soon, in case my mobility gets any worse.

I won't be able to tolerate the Ice Hotel overnight, not the sled rides, but I do hope to be able to take a trip to see the dogs. It will probably be my only time up there, so I'm not going to scrimp on excursions - especially those that give me a better chance of seeing the lights.

I haven't heard of 'Mountain Warehouse' before, will have a look at them. I got some thermals from 'Landsend' in the sale, I hope they will be good enough as a base layer. I hadn't thought of sunglasses, thank you to the poster who mentioned them.