Is Bear Viewing Tour out of Anchorage? 1 day/not crazy expensive

buzymom3

HI There

We are on the August 1, 2017 Princess Star Cruise Tour. We start our land tour portion on Tuesday, August. We are willing to fly in a couple of days early if we can do some sort of tour to see bears in or around Kenai.

I have looked at flight-seeing and these tour start at $400 and rapidly up from there.

We'd love to go someplace that has viewing platforms if possible. Don't really want to be walking around on our own. :D

Anyone here have any suggestions? We'd be willing to rent a car if needed. We do want a day tour as we want to be back in Anchorage the day before the tour departs.

Seeing bears is our #1 priority on our next cruise.

The prices you found are about right.

(FWIW We chose to fly out of Kodiak & Ketchikan - I looked into tours out of Homer & Anchorage in addition...)

Some people on CC have reports & shown photos of bears on non-bear tours (In Tracy Arm as a specific example)

And others have had some luck in Icy Strait Point.

We have just come back from the Star Princess northbound cruise. On 1 August (docked at Ketchikan) we went bear watching with Carlin Air - floatplane to Traitor's Cove. Cost $369pp. Would definitely recommend it.

http://www.carlinair.com/Ketchikan-tours/Ketchikan-bear-viewing-tours

We saw bears just sitting in the middle of the stream feeding plus a mum and cubs walking across where our path was about to go, and in the undergrowth.

HI There

We are on the August 1, 2017 Princess Star Cruise Tour. We start our land tour portion on Tuesday, August. We are willing to fly in a couple of days early if we can do some sort of tour to see bears in or around Kenai.

I have looked at flight-seeing and these tour start at $400 and rapidly up from there.

We'd love to go someplace that has viewing platforms if possible. Don't really want to be walking around on our own. :D

Anyone here have any suggestions? We'd be willing to rent a car if needed. We do want a day tour as we want to be back in Anchorage the day before the tour departs.

What are you hoping to see? You may be out of season for a salmon run? My bias opinion, is the day trips are a waste of time and money for me. Just too short of a time, for the cost. I only go on overnights, since my priority is the bears, and having multiple viewing opportunities. Contrast with your idea, being a VERY short, few hours of possibility, that can be disappointing. You should really know a lot more than you probably do, if the day trip money is significant? And back to my first question- IF it's the salmon frenzy you have your priority on, you HAVE to know the seasons and dates of peak activity. this is not the tour, to go on the fringes. Where, is this tour taking you? IF like the above poster, they don't know (I already responded, that those Kodiak tours, go to Katmai far too frequently, considering the "Kodiak" experience is what I would only want) When you get that- open, response, that should tell you something. Yes, I am very picky about my tours and vendors. A lot of people this would be of no concern.

As a general comment, about very good bear viewing- IF you aren't of only the "salmon" thinking- Chinitna Bay, is a jackpot, with excellent full season viewing due to the razor clam diet, supplementing the salmon runs. Essential, in my opinion- is to have at LEAST an overnight, my minimum is 2, which I've now done twice. You want the ability to take advantage of MULTIPLE viewings, which you will not get with a day trip. I spent hours out, from early morning to midnight, depending on the tides and activities. Enjoyed the like minded thinking guides during other times at the lodges. The experience is phenomenal, and never bound by any "platforms".

I would suggest adding more time and make your trip at least an overnight, take advantage of being there. And with your cruisetour- getting yourself to Eielson is superior to the TWT which "has" to be included in my opinion.