Western Caribbean with pre-teens

FrogFritter

My boys have done this run at least 4 times and I can tell you that you will have a blast; they are now 12 and 18, but started cruising at 2 and 8. Roatan is their favorite port, and this is where I would book a private tour. Since you have done Bodden, might I suggest Island Marketing? They took us to a place similar to Bodden, but this mini zoo had a sloth as well as the monkey's and birds. They also took us the iguana reserve; these lizards are huge, tame and act like dogs. You can walk up to them, feed them, or lean down and pet them and they lean into you like a dog. This island has so much to offer and it's so easy to customize your trip.

As for ruins, I would also spend the money and book the Altun Ha/ River Wallace. It is about and hour drive on an air conditioned bus. Go early, beat the crowds and get some fantastic photos. Here, they still allow you to climb one of the ruins. Then, they take you for a cookout lunch, and then your board the wide river boat where you will cruise down the river and past the shore seeing all kinds of wildlife; we saw bats, monkeys, crocodiles, dolphins, a manatee, iguanas and countless birds. My son's were probably about 8 and 14 when we did this and they loved it.

If there is money left in the budget, Chankanaab is an option for Cozumel, for some kind of animal encounter. Hubby and I have also just gone for the beach and to snorkel. It's fun because they have a crocodile exhibit and lots of grounds to walk. But, if you are out of money, read the port of call boards and take a cab to one of the beaches. You will pay for ones that have toys, but if that isn't a must, there are plenty of free ones. Just this past Christmas we went to Money Bar and laid in the shade and snorkeled. My youngest was 11 then, and had not been feeling well so he was happy to just relax in a chair and watch the hermit crabs in the sand. My oldest, then 17 took a walk down the rocky shore. The beach itself was free, and we had multiple drinks, appetizers and lunch for all of us and I don't think the tab was over $75.

I would also make Costa Maya a beach day. I did the Chachobeen ruins here with my oldest when he was 8. Again, another 8 hour bus ride and they were good. But I think Altun Ha was better, especially when you throw in the boat ride. So here, my advice is a beach day. Again, look at the ports of call board and find one that suits your needs.

Enjoy!

My boys have done this run at least 4 times and I can tell you that you will have a blast; they are now 12 and 18, but started cruising at 2 and 8. Roatan is their favorite port, and this is where I would book a private tour. Since you have done Bodden, might I suggest Island Marketing? They took us to a place similar to Bodden, but this mini zoo had a sloth as well as the monkey's and birds. They also took us the iguana reserve; these lizards are huge, tame and act like dogs. You can walk up to them, feed them, or lean down and pet them and they lean into you like a dog. This island has so much to offer and it's so easy to customize your trip.

As for ruins, I would also spend the money and book the Altun Ha/ River Wallace. It is about and hour drive on an air conditioned bus. Go early, beat the crowds and get some fantastic photos. Here, they still allow you to climb one of the ruins. Then, they take you for a cookout lunch, and then your board the wide river boat where you will cruise down the river and past the shore seeing all kinds of wildlife; we saw bats, monkeys, crocodiles, dolphins, a manatee, iguanas and countless birds. My son's were probably about 8 and 14 when we did this and they loved it.

If there is money left in the budget, Chankanaab is an option for Cozumel, for some kind of animal encounter. Hubby and I have also just gone for the beach and to snorkel. It's fun because they have a crocodile exhibit and lots of grounds to walk. But, if you are out of money, read the port of call boards and take a cab to one of the beaches. You will pay for ones that have toys, but if that isn't a must, there are plenty of free ones. Just this past Christmas we went to Money Bar and laid in the shade and snorkeled. My youngest was 11 then, and had not been feeling well so he was happy to just relax in a chair and watch the hermit crabs in the sand. My oldest, then 17 took a walk down the rocky shore. The beach itself was free, and we had multiple drinks, appetizers and lunch for all of us and I don't think the tab was over $75.

I would also make Costa Maya a beach day. I did the Chachobeen ruins here with my oldest when he was 8. Again, another 8 hour bus ride and they were good. But I think Altun Ha was better, especially when you throw in the boat ride. So here, my advice is a beach day. Again, look at the ports of call board and find one that suits your needs.

Enjoy!

Thank you, your advice is wonderful and sounds like things we will all enjoy.

I should have started them younger lol your kids are pros.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk