Grand Turk

We were in Grand Turk last summer and did a kayak tour with our 15 and 17 year old boys. It was through Carnival and we were able to book it the night before, so it was pretty spontaneous. None of us had ever kayaked before, so didn't really know what to expect. It turned out to be one of our favorite excursions ever! The inlet where we kayaked was super shallow and the kayaks had "glass" bottoms (fiberglass?) and we spent some time searching for conch, which we found. The guides were really wonderful and so warm and friendly--we talked to them about their lives on the island and their families. We all got the hang of kayaking pretty quick and didn't find it overly tiring. We stopped at the most gorgeous sandy beach and the guides dove down and brought up sea urchins and conch so we could get a good look, and we even ended up trying some raw conch (not bad, and I'm not a sushi gal ;) ).

We had time before the excursion to check out the beach, and the further toward Jack's Shack we walked, the less crowded it was. I would think there would be a quiet area somewhere--it's a huge beach.

I hope you find something you want to do. I would highly recommend the glass bottom kayak tour through Carnival.

Thank you maybe I will try to talk him into snorkeling over the next couple of months. I may get him to kayak we use to canoe but it's been 20 years ago not sure I could get my butt into on anymore lol. The glass bottom ones would be fun, kids would enjoy it too. Do they provide life vests? Girls aren't the strongest swimmers. We could bring their own though, that wouldn't be a problem.

We live in a rural part of MO so the poor simple life is pretty much what they see every day in different areas around here, they definitely aren't city teen.

Our Oct cruise will be their first time to the beach, they haven't been on our past cruises they always chose land vacations. This will be their 2nd. One DD wants to do the beach and the other DD doesn't just want to sit on a beach she wants to DO something so trying to find a beach activity not just a beach day. We have 4 ports on this one so if we have to do just the beach at one and a activity that doesn't involve the beach at another we can do that too.

The beaches on Grand Turk are nothing special and are crowded because everyone wants to walk as little as possible so they get congested near the ship very quickly. Margaritville, is, well Margaritaville. A US-based chain restaurant serving mass-produced bland food. They have a free pool, but then so does your ship!

What Grand Turk is known for is their diving and snorkeling. Some of the best in the world. When we were there we booked a snorkel trip with White Sands like another poster mentioned. Great day with those guys! Snorkeling over The Wall was a bucket list moment!

When we went we hauled butt off the ship, then went to the conch shell graveyard, grabbed a few, then headed to Jack's Shack. Hung out for a while talking to the owners and playing with Topher. Then headed back to ship to enjoy some time with the ship not too crowded. Had an amazing time!

The beaches on Grand Turk are nothing special and are crowded because everyone wants to walk as little as possible so they get congested near the ship very quickly. Margaritville, is, well Margaritaville. A US-based chain restaurant serving mass-produced bland food. They have a free pool, but then so does your ship!

What Grand Turk is known for is their diving and snorkeling. Some of the best in the world. When we were there we booked a snorkel trip with White Sands like another poster mentioned. Great day with those guys! Snorkeling over The Wall was a bucket list moment!

Apparently you haven't been around the island. If you stay at the cruise port yes the beaches are not that great but if you head out to the other side of the island there are some of the best beaches you can find with the clearest and cleanest waters

Unfortunately the kids and DH don't snorkel so that's out :( I tried to get DH to do it on one of our past cruises and it was a no go. I'm even willing to pay more for a private beach that has a limited capacity on it. I did see some new style snorkel masks online that fit your whole face so you can breath normal instead of keeping the snorkel in your mouth and they look really cool but they were back ordered (and expensive) not sure if that's enough to convince DH to give it a shot or not. I'm thinking no, it's just not his thing, he's more of a land mammal lol.

My hubby has the same issue with snorkeling. We learned that he was more than happy to go with us to stay on the boat & watch. The sailing, the scenery, the drinks...he actually enjoys HIS experience as much as we enjoy ours! :)

Last time we were at Grand Turk we had our 16yo son with us. If you enjoy nature, you can head south of the pier (opposite the crowded beach) & get lost (almost alone) among the rocky shore. We saw the most breathtaking scenery, sealife, plantlife. Walked to the tip of the island then even curved on up around & walked much further. Our son brought a fabric kite that we flew. Grand Turk has some of our most favorite memories...& pictures! (I'd share if I knew how?!) The one thing we'll do differently there next time is to take PLENTY of drinking water with us on that hike!

I wonder how many cruisers know that the capital of Turks and Caicos is located on Grand Turk Island and not Provenciales?

There is at least one resort on GT that offer a day pass. Snorkeling, diving and fishing are all great activities to enjoy on this little islet.

Depending on the time of year, there can be 2 or 3 (or none) vendors between Margaritaville pool and Jack's with food, drinks and loungers/umbrellas offered.

Edited by evandbob

When we went we hauled butt off the ship, then went to the conch shell graveyard, grabbed a few, then headed to Jack's Shack. Hung out for a while talking to the owners and playing with Topher. Then headed back to ship to enjoy some time with the ship not too crowded. Had an amazing time!

When you get off the ship do you go right to the graveyard, thanks.

go to the tent between the pier and Jacks.. you will see a sign for white sands snorkel charters. Take the 3 stop tour with Capt. Donovan (Who owns the place) and your life will be changed forever. You will likely touch a very tame shark...snorkel over the Grand Turk wall... see the most fish ever ....taste fresh conch...and......... kiss the barb of a sting ray.... then come back and go to Jacks for a couple of Turks Heads.... tell Topher hi. Once again, your life will be changed forever....:)

Wow! Will surely do this next year.