Zenith first time...cabin opinion??

rey68

I just booked last week for the Jan.28/06 Zenith 5 day cruise. The prices were so good my wife and I decided to take our 2 kids as well. Our third cruise, their first. We booked a guarantee inside quad. I figured we would get room assigned in a month or so as we still have not paid in full.

Today, I checked my reservations on the website and we are in cabin 6011 on the Caribbean deck. This shows right below the showroom. Any advice or opinions on this cabin.

Now for my questions. Since I have a room assigned so early is that good or bad. Is the ship full and that is why they have assigned or are they just doing it early. If I am assigned this early can there be other upgrades? I know I have been touched by the upgrade fairy here (cat 12 to 9) but all my other cruises have been mid ship. Should I call and see if I can get downgraded out of this cabin?

Finally, please don't flame me for asking after booking guarantee. I realize the risks I take but am just wondering what my options are since this is the first one I have booked as guaranteed.

Thanks in advance.

Rey68

I cannot speak for guarantee cabins, as we never booked anything other than assigned cabins. But I can talk about the positioning of the cabin. We stayed under the showroom on our first cruise (6005). There really wasn't much noise from above.......we noticed more noise from the wave action being in the very first cabin starboard side (rough seas on our way to Bermuda). You really don't spend a lot of time in the cabin anyway, so you should be okay. Unless your children are very young, and go to bed really early, the shows will probably be over by the time you retire.

As to upgrades, we booked an assigned inside cabin for our 11/5/05 sailing and when we received our cruise docs we noticed we had been upgraded to an outside. So I would think that a guarantee could still change, although quad cabins are few and far between, which could limit your chances.

Have a great cruise!

Thanks for the information. Anyone else on chances of still being upgraded or are cabins set. I see some rooms still available on travelocity.com. Would we be in a better position to pay in full now. It is due mid-Novembe?

Thanks again

Hi Rey. The upgrade thing is tough because of your quad situation. As Lucky said it is unlikely for that reason. However, you could pay for the extra for the outside if you now feel you are just not going to be happy where you are. As far as paying balance now, that will have no bearing. Getting upgraded is a lottery and has nothing to do with when you book or pay. I used to think they wouldn't move you from inside to outside or maybe they are less likely to but it is a mystery. We should run a poll on how many people are given the next better cabin type when they booked guarantees. I'm sure it's been done but what hasn't? Current trend is all that matters, right?

Good luck and happy sails. Look for my review as we are traveling 12/3 and I will let you know how great the refurbishment is. I have no assignment yet so we may be inside too.

We went on the Zenith in August 2005. We paid for a guaranteed inside cabin and even with a fully booked ship we got upgraded to an outside cabin. I will tell you though, the outside cabin was 2nd to the front of the ship and for two rough nights we were awake until 4 am with waves crashing and pounding our wall. It was like every wave that hit sounded like the ship hit a boulder and the walls were smashing. And we also watched the ocean spray pass our window.

After those first two nights, the waters were quieter, and we were able to sleep. You may be better off with an inside cabin verses an outside cabin depending on where it is located on the ship.

Yes. But, only after the first two nights. The rest of our trip was fine and we did enjoy the window. I would recommend having a few cocktails before bedtime. Enjoy your trip and take the chance.

Go for it, Airb330. As long as it isn't in the very front. It also sounds like you are getting on obstructed view cabin. We have had them before and have always been very happy with the room.

Go for it, Airb330. As long as it isn't in the very front. It also sounds like you are getting on obstructed view cabin. We have had them before and have always been very happy with the room.

Yeah, we're happy with it. It'll let some light in and we would have been happy with an inside anyway. It's like 6-8 cabins from the back, so it should be nice and stable. :)

As someone said, booking a quad is a tough one to get an upgrade plus, normally the ealier the cabin is assigned the greater chance the ship is expecting a sell out or close. Hopefully I am wrong and you will get another assignment, but 90% chance what you have is what you will get. Don't worry to much about being just below the showroom. As you know you will spend very little time in your cabin and by bedtime the shows should be completely over. Mostly the noise would come from rehersals which would take place during the day hours when you will be enjoying ports, the ship and all the activities. Have a great cruise. NMnita

Hi,

My wife and I will be on this cruise. We recently moved to Orlando from Wisconsin. Makes cruising much easier. This is our 6th cruise and first without the kids although our 16 year old is trying to persuade us she needs to go along.

Larry & Shellie

I was under the impression you could not book a guarantee for more than 2 people because there's no guarantee that at the time they assign the cabins that any quads will be available. Is this situation different?

Also, from looking at the deck plan, how do you know which ov cabins have a partially obstructed view? Do you check the deck below to see if life boats are there? (that's not very obstructed even for a balcony) or are there cabins on the deck where the lifeboats are?

Any clarification would be appreciated.

...are so low. Any ideas as to why? Apart, of course, from they hadn't sold enough cabins. We got an assigned cabin, midships outside category four, for less than $300 each directly from Celebrity. At under $60 pp per day for the best non-suite, non-Concierge outside, it sounds too good to be true. Is the ship falling apart? The food lousy? With air from Boston it'll come in under a grand for two and in the middle of our winter, that's too good to be true even if the ZENITH is past its sell-by date.

I hope it's not and would like to hear opinions from recent guests.

...are so low. Any ideas as to why? Apart, of course, from they hadn't sold enough cabins. We got an assigned cabin, midships outside category four, for less than $300 each directly from Celebrity. At under $60 pp per day for the best non-suite, non-Concierge outside, it sounds too good to be true. Is the ship falling apart? The food lousy? With air from Boston it'll come in under a grand for two and in the middle of our winter, that's too good to be true even if the ZENITH is past its sell-by date.

I have no idea why the prices are so low. Many departures are starting at 260 and 300 for an inside cabin, and it seems everyone is being upgraded! For this 5 night cruise, we paid 330pp (with taxes) with $125 for airfare. Less than $100 total per day!! :)

The weeks after Thanksgiving and before Christmas is usually lower priced because less people cruise then. So insentive is lower prices to get more to cruise. Zenith is a nice smaller ship compared to the M class, but still is Celebrity with all the charm and good things you have heard. In this case size does not make a difference. Have a wonderful cruise.

My DW and I will be cruising on the Zenith 2/6 on a 5-niter...and although we are not newbie's to cruising, we are with Celebrity...what time do they usually start the embarcation process...also, if a dining room seating assignment needs to be changed, how, where and when is this accomplished after boarding the ship...also, is a coat and tie necessary for the informal nights in the dining room...thanks for any assistance here

Early January and even later in the month are as low as the season gets almost and rates are always cheap. I remember getting a client a guaranteed outside on a 7 day cruise a few years ago for $499. They were upgraded to a full suite. Remember the ship is small and is older, but just coming out of dry dock. This is a 5 day cruise versus a 7. Of course you are not going to get the primere ship of the line, we all know we get what we pay for, but there is no reason to think the ship is awful or the food lousy etc. Take advantage of a good deal and be happy. NMnita

icruz...yes a jacket is requested for men on informal evenings. Tie is optional but you will see men wearing them. As for changing seating/time for dinner... the maitre'd is available when you board to accept requests for changes. I believe you can find him in the Rondevous Lounge outside the Caravelle dining room which is on deck 7.

As for the low prices and the condition of Zenith...

We sailed on her twice this past summer BEFORE her drydock and she was in very good condition. Some of the rugs and bedspreads were worn and there were chips in the bathroom sinks but beyond this I found her to be a wonderful, comfortable ship. Zenith is not glitzy so if that is what you expect you will be disappointed. No mall like atriums or glass elevators. I would describe this ship as classy and quietly elegant. The size is great for getting around and there is plenty to do.

Zenith's best asset is her crew. They are absolutely wonderful, warm, professional, efficient and entertaining. No request was too much for them to handle. They make you feel like family and are especially wonderful with children. This is a crew that takes pride in their work and in Zenith. I would not hesitate a moment to sail on her again. You can be sure if I lived in Florida I would be grabbing one of those 4 or 5 night "deals". I know you will have a wonderful time. Happy sailing!:)

There are 16 of us crusing together on the Zenith 12/17/05. We are looking forward to a wonderful "family reunion as our Christmas. We have 19 to 89 year olds traveling with us and we are all excited about it. We have one or two cruisers going. This will be my 5th cruise. I get excited every time I think about it.

We just decided last Thursday to do it because the rates were so low and by Friday we had 16 people and 8 cabins booked. We still need to work out details.

Looking forward to seeing ya'll on the ship!!!

There are 16 of us crusing together on the Zenith 12/17/05. We are looking forward to a wonderful "family reunion as our Christmas. We have 19 to 89 year olds traveling with us and we are all excited about it. We have one or two cruisers going. This will be my 5th cruise. I get excited every time I think about it.

We just decided last Thursday to do it because the rates were so low and by Friday we had 16 people and 8 cabins booked. We still need to work out details.

Looking forward to seeing ya'll on the ship!!!

Archived