Nonrefundable Deposit?!

SandyMc

If this is the way Princess intends to play their game, I don't know how many future cruises I'll be taking with them. I tend to book cruises years in advance. Life happens and things change in that amount of time. With non-refundable deposits, I can't book that way. I was looking to purchase one of those future deposits on our first cruise.....maybe not now.....*sigh*

Unless one is a last minute traveler, cruising is turning into less and less of a value. Great for retirees, but not those who need to plan.

They are not all like this, just certain promotions.

I usually book right away when they release cruises as I like certain cabins. I book into group rates then sit back and watch the sales along the way to see what the best promotion is along the way. If it's non refundable I just wait for the next one. Right now the three for free is refundable and the past sip and sail promotion was refundable. I buy the future cruise deposit and get the additional benefits from the on board credit and it's my deposit. I feel it's a very good way to plan far ahead.

On the other hand two people in my group on an upcoming cruise were able to change to the non refundable fare the day final payment was due and saved a substantial amount of money. One saved about $700 and the other one over $1000. Granted on had to give up some OBC but she still came out over $1000 ahead. Since they were going into the penalty phase after final it was a no brainer. Don't get caught up with the current promotion, you have to look at the over all picture and bottom line. I wouldn't book a non refundable either as far out as we book.