Mobility Scooter in regular stateroom?

lefty squeeker

What type of scooter? The issue will be the doors. Full size scooters will not fit through the door (even with taking the arms off). Some scooters will just fit through the door if you take the arms off. The scooter my sister uses (Luggie) would fit no problem because it folds up (plus its narrow enough to fit through the door).

Obviously the other issues in a regular room would be a step into the bathroom, a step into the shower, no grab bars, etc.

You will need to know both the width of the scooter you will be using along with the width of a regular room doorway(check with the cruise line). This is what I checked and did, we were able to fit into a regular room...it was a tight fit and with a lot of maneuvering to back it into the room. But it did work!

Have done it several times. However as others have already posted it can be a tight fit. Additionally it depends on the width of the scooter. The standard cruise cabin door is 23" from door frame to door frame. You than have to deduct 2" for the depth of the door as it does not open flush to the wall. Thus leaving the total threshold clearance to be 21". The scooter must be less than 21" in width at the wheelbase as well as the width of the armrests in order to be able to it through the doorway.

IMPORTANT : All scooters and wheelchairs MUST be stored in the stateroom. Due to the safety and escape way requirements established by SOLAS (Safety of Life at Seas) regulations, it cannot be stored in the hallways, stairways, or any other public area. Ignoring these regulations can and does impede the safety of others whether disabled or abled bodied moving about the hallways not to mention impedes the safety of all on board the ship in the event of an actual emergency. Even if the cabin attendant tells you it's Ok it's NOT ! I for one will contact the ships' security to have the scooter removed if one is observed left in the hallway.

Edited by xxoocruiser

We did book the regular stateroom (OV obstructed) after checking the door dimensions and the scooter dimensions. Looks like it will fit. :D

May be a tight fit but that's my fault for not booking sooner. :rolleyes:

Still will be a great cruise.

The scooter is a Pride GoGo Elite Traveler. Specs show width as 19" so we'll see. If push comes to shove I'll break it partway down to save space.

Thanks

Edited by lefty squeeker

I rented one for our last cruise on the Caribbean Princess. If you have the beds configured to 2 twins, you can maneuver around and back it up against the wall between the end of the bed & fridge. We met a couple that both used scooters & they would have their room steward take them to be stored out of the way & then bring them back when they were needed.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We did book the regular stateroom (OV obstructed) after checking the door dimensions and the scooter dimensions. Looks like it will fit. :D

May be a tight fit but that's my fault for not booking sooner. :rolleyes:

Still will be a great cruise.

The scooter is a Pride GoGo Elite Traveler. Specs show width as 19" so we'll see. If push comes to shove I'll break it partway down to save space.

Thanks

As I previously posted it's not only the width of the scooter that you need to be concerned about but it's also the width to which the armrests are set. The armrests need should be set at the same base width otherwise they'll get hung-up on the door frame. If you can do without the arm rests suggest removing completely.

Not a big issue but I have 2 Pride GoGo Elite Travelers and both are 19.5" wide at the rear wheelbase which is the same width specification as shown on the Pride Mobility Website for that model. http://www.pridemobility.com/gogo/gogoelitetraveller.asp

Also note it's important to align the scooter along the opposite hallway floor so that you can make the widest possible turn into the cabin. If you do that you'll have a better chance of getting it through the cabin door on the first try. Also suggest you have the cabin steward remove the coffee table from the room to allow for more floor space.

Edited by xxoocruiser

I took the armrests off 9 years ago as they were too much a pain when loading into the car :rolleyes:. If I recall he layout correctly I think I'll be able to back up a bit and get a fairly straight run thru the door. It may look like a first attempt at parallel parking kn a tight spot :eek: but I'm sure it's do-able! If I crash badly I'll post some pix :p. Anyone else onboard for this cruise?

We are going Dec 21 from Valpraiso Chile on Crown. Last cruise my wife rented a GOGO and had lots of fun and rammed the door several time with it. Pretty narrow but doable and we could turn it around in a reg balcony then park it in front of the vanity. She now has a folding one so it should work even better. A few people hate them and will push ahead into venues and elevators but the majority are polite and will give you your turn. I'm 6ft 215 lb so I just cross my arms and stand in the way. No one has pushed me yet.:D

We are going Dec 21 from Valpraiso Chile on Crown. Last cruise my wife rented a GOGO and had lots of fun and rammed the door several time with it. Pretty narrow but doable and we could turn it around in a reg balcony then park it in front of the vanity. She now has a folding one so it should work even better. A few people hate them and will push ahead into venues and elevators but the majority are polite and will give you your turn. I'm 6ft 215 lb so I just cross my arms and stand in the way. No one has pushed me yet.:D

Thanks. Yes I've noted on previous cruses that MOST people are friendly and respect your personal space while using a scooter. On one occasion I had a person attempt to dart past me into an elevator and separate me from the three people I was with. I'm sure she won't do it again and I apologized for running over her foot!

I took the armrests off 9 years ago as they were too much a pain when loading into the car :rolleyes:. If I recall he layout correctly I think I'll be able to back up a bit and get a fairly straight run thru the door. It may look like a first attempt at parallel parking kn a tight spot :eek: but I'm sure it's do-able! If I crash badly I'll post some pix :p. Anyone else onboard for this cruise?

Best to make certain the scooter is set at the lowest speed for better manuverability when trying to get it in/out of cabin.