Charleston as a port stop on the pride

kierra

I lived in a small town in upstate SC for five very long years in the early 90's and have been to both cities a few times back then and never saw the quaint southern charm others see. Instead my experience held only racism, sexism, hatred and a lot of people living/obsessed in the past..

A small town in the upstate and Charleston are worlds apart. Charleston is one of the most progressive forward looking and ( i almost dread using this word in the hyper partisan political world we now live in) liberal cites in the state.

Charleston is a very old city with a rich history, both good and bad. Acknowledging that history and promoting it as tourism is not "obsessing over it".

But, you seem to have your mind already made up of what our city is. So my suggestion is to stay on the ship, we have many friendly people here and don't really need someone with your attitude messing things up. :rolleyes:

Hi James EM,

Can I pick your brain. We are going to take a cruise out of Charleston in the near future. We want to stay a few days after the cruise to enjoy Charleston. What part of the city or area would be best to find a hotel where we would have the easiest access to tourist attractions and historic sites.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim & Pam

Are you going to get a car or use taxi's/uber? If the latter then probably stay downtown as you can walk to many things.. If you are going to get a car for a few days then Mt Pleasant would be a good idea. Advantages of a car are you can visit the plantations that are in West Ashley (This is the area I live in) they are on the west side of Charleston along the Ashley river. You can also visit some of the beaches, and Ft Moultrie (if you are into history). You can get to Patriots Point easier with a car. (yes you can take a water taxi from downtown, but a car is easier as you can visit Shem Creek for some food after).

Thanks to those who gave some interesting tips, if we get off at this port we might hit the Art Galleries, I didn't realize there were so many downtown. It's nice to hear that perhaps I just had a few bad experiences and/or things have changed.

On a cruise we tend to like to just find an all-inclusive, hit the beach and relax and chill. Maybe a little shopping, maybe a little gambling if in the mood - very low key. Not really into the tour thing although too many have suggested we hit Kennedy Space Center this time at the Port Canaveral stop since we've never done that before so we might.

This itinerary has 4 ports back to back on an 8 day cruise so there is lots of port time (Charleston, PC, Nassau and Freeport).

At this point, with all of the flooding and storms from Hurricane Matthew, i just hope no one else loses their lives and am so blessed to worry about things like this instead of the basics of life. My heart and prayers go out to anyone in its path.

• 2 weeks later...

Kierra,

I'm on the same cruise as you. There is a roll call on here if you are interested (it's not very active though) and also the social media platform that Zuckerberg started. If you look for "Bahama Carnival Pride" over there it should pop up. It also has the date Dec. 18 2016 in the page title.

Here's the link to the roll call on these boards

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2358740

Kierra,

I'm on the same cruise as you. There is a roll call on here if you are interested (it's not very active though) and also the social media platform that Zuckerberg started. If you look for "Bahama Carnival Pride" over there it should pop up. It also has the date Dec. 18 2016 in the page title.

Here's the link to the roll call on these boards

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2358740

Thanks for letting me know - I'm on both. It's like 59 days left, yippie!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums