Cruising Alaska in May or September?

Thanks again to everyone for your input! At the end of the day, we listened - and weighed all of your advice - and decided to go with September. I'm a bit nervous about the rain now, but the price differential was too substantial to ignore. We will pack our rain gear and hope for the best!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We have gone in September. The weather was overcast but out of 7 days we only had a few showers. Saw lots of wildlife. Everything was open. There are end of season sales in the ports if you like to shop

Edited by setsail

Roads were closed in 2012 (scenic road in Skagway to Yukon and to famous abandoned mining town, forgot the name.) Roads opened on 7th of June.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn HTC One_M8 met Tapatalk

If you're talking about a mountain pass road that goes through Canada in early May - that may be the case. Some of those "roads" aren't paved and are at high elevations. 2012 was a record snowfall year so unusual. The last 3 winters the snow melted by mid April. Southeast Alaska has more temperate weather than south central (Anchorage & Seward Peninsula). There are plenty of other excursion options and I wouldn't discourage anyone from cruising in May.

OP, have a wonderful cruise! My state is vast and beautiful with so much to do and see. If you come near Anchorage, let me know and I'd be happy to provide recommendations for you.