Confused about the prepaid gratuities promo

4THELOVEOFBOO

I'm not sure why the travel I booked with keeps insisting that it's more convenient for me to take the Free gratuities over the drinking package. My husband and I are not planning on drinking all day, but we will enjoy 2-3 drinks per day, and some wine at supper. We chose 2 promos, since we have a balcony room: 3 and 4th guests free, for our kids and free gratuities. After reading this thread, I'm wondering if we aren't better off changing the free gratuities for a drinking package.

I think I will bring travelers checks to cover their DSC & Aunties.
Word of warning about TCs, on our last cruise they refused to accept the ones I had. They actually had a lot of picky conditions about TCs that are not stated anywhere in their written policies.

1. If you have any other form of payment, they want that instead. Since there was already a CC on our account, they wouldn't take my TCs.
  2. If you have anything other than AmEx TCs, they don't want them. (Some of mine were from AAA, so forget about it.)
  3. If your don't have the most recent cheques from American Express, they don't want them. Mine were from several years ago, and the design has changed since then, so no go.

As always, have a back-up plan (in other words, you will probably end up paying for everything with your credit card).

Edited by hawkeyetlse

I'm not sure why the travel I booked with keeps insisting that it's more convenient for me to take the Free gratuities over the drinking package. My husband and I are not planning on drinking all day, but we will enjoy 2-3 drinks per day, and some wine at supper. We chose 2 promos, since we have a balcony room: 3 and 4th guests free, for our kids and free gratuities. After reading this thread, I'm wondering if we aren't better off changing the free gratuities for a drinking package.

That's like NCL saying, we're changing this policy "for your convenience". I don't understand how having prepaid gratuities is more convenient. With 3 or 4 drinks a day, you are better off taking the "free" drinks. Think of it this way: 14.22 pppd for drinks and 13.50 pppd for DSC-- $27.72 will cover both DSC and all drinks. Looks better to me!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That's like NCL saying, we're changing this policy "for your convenience". I don't understand how having prepaid gratuities is more convenient. With 3 or 4 drinks a day, you are better off taking the "free" drinks. Think of it this way: 14.22 pppd for drinks and 13.50 pppd for DSC-- $27.72 will cover both DSC and all drinks. Looks better to me!

Thank you Denatravels. I sent an email to my TA and this is what she replied. I'm truly confused. Maybe it is because of the promos?

------

With current promo( pre-paid service charge) : you and your husband save ...$247.16.

With the Beverage package and 3 & 4th free your price will go up by $507.50 as you & your husband will now pay $247.16 for the base service charge and $260.34 for beverage service charge.

Taking all the above in consideration, you need to calculate if you feel you will drink for more than $500.00 ( you and your husband). If you think you will exceed these amounts than yes it is worth it but otherwise you are better off just paying for what you consume. ------

Any thoughts?

Thank you Denatravels. I sent an email to my TA and this is what she replied. I'm truly confused. Maybe it is because of the promos?

------

With current promo( pre-paid service charge) : you and your husband save ...$247.16.

With the Beverage package and 3 & 4th free your price will go up by $507.50 as you & your husband will now pay $247.16 for the base service charge and $260.34 for beverage service charge.

Taking all the above in consideration, you need to calculate if you feel you will drink for more than $500.00 ( you and your husband). If you think you will exceed these amounts than yes it is worth it but otherwise you are better off just paying for what you consume. ------

Any thoughts?

The math is weird-- how many days is the cruise?

7 nights. It's also Canadian money if that makes a difference lol

Maybe that's why it's not coming out right. Here are my thoughts:

1. I wouldn't keep a TA that doesn't explain things to you and is pushing you towards a certain option.

2. I'm going to assume kids sail free is the best promo for you

3. If you cancel the DSC (prepaid gratuities) you would be responsible for 13.50 pppd-- $189 total USD which can either be prepaid with final payment or added to your on board account and paid before you leave the cruise

4. If you choose instead to take the beverage package, you get the $79 that the package costs for free but you pay the 18% gratuity on the cost of the package. This costs $14.22 pppd-- $199.08 total USD.

SO if you change to kids free and beverage, you'd be adding the cost of #3 and #4 above. Only you can decide if it's worth it. But I hope it's a bit more clear.

Any thoughts?

Looks correct to me, assuming a CAD rate of about 1.31. In USD it's $388.08, as denatravels said, which is $27.72 per person per day. If you drink 3 glasses of wine or 3 cocktails per day, you will spend more than that.