Legend from Vancouver to Hawaii- YWCA question

luv2gocruzin

Yes and yes. Downtown Vancouver is very compact - if you're taking a cab, hotel is almost irrelevant as virtually all downtown hotels are in the fixed rate $31 zone. Only the ones right by the pier are $35. If SkyTrain was your preferred method, you have a couple of options as to which station to get off at - Vancouver City Centre gives you an easy walk, downhill, well under half a mile on foot.

Yaletown-Roundhouse station has a taxi rank right outside it if you don't want to walk with bags, but want the cheapest possible way to get downtown - SkyTrain will run $7.75pp (evenings/weekends) or $9pp (weekdays), and a cab from Yaletown to the YWCA will be under $10 including tip. i.e. total to get there for a couple would be ~$25-28, vs. ~$35 for cab all the way unless you stiff the cabbie on their tip.

The pier is walkable if you can handle your bags - less than a mile, on average basically flat but with a wee uphill stretch to begin. A cab should cost about $10, but with traffic at the pier on cruise days it's often the case that you get within a block and then the meter adds several dollars while you crawl along at less than walking pace to actually get into the pier - just ask the cabbie to let you out if that's happening.

Also, since you posted this twice in two minutes, I suggest you ask the Mods to combine the questions - otherwise you'll have two threads on the same board to follow as undoubtedly some people will post their opinions on the other one...

My vote goes for cab to the YWCA area when travelling with luggage. I want the door to door convenience.

Train is nice... but the dragging the luggage for 1/2 mile from station to hotel is ugly.