Mobility Scooter access balcony stateroom Celebrity Eclipse

Londongirl8

We have only cruised once before, and this is our first time with a mobility scooter and our first time on a Celebrity ship. Our balcony cabin has a bed nearest to the bathroom and I am concerned looking at video's that I will not be able to get my scooter past the end of the bed and the fitted furniture starting on the opposite wall into the larger area with the settee to be able to turn and park up my scooter. It does not look like there is anywhere to park it up before you get to the bed. I have a 4 wheel Pride Go Go Traveller Plus it's 21.25 inches wide. Anybody have experience of this who can advise me. I didn't want to take up an accessible cabin from somebody who has more need of it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We have only cruised once before, and this is our first time with a mobility scooter and our first time on a Celebrity ship. Our balcony cabin has a bed nearest to the bathroom and I am concerned looking at video's that I will not be able to get my scooter past the end of the bed and the fitted furniture starting on the opposite wall into the larger area with the settee to be able to turn and park up my scooter. It does not look like there is anywhere to park it up before you get to the bed. I have a 4 wheel Pride Go Go Traveller Plus it's 21.25 inches wide. Anybody have experience of this who can advise me. I didn't want to take up an accessible cabin from somebody who has more need of it.

Your scooter will most definitely not fit past the bed in the configuration described in your post. Therefore you have the following 3 options:

1. If you don't want to change cabins than being that the scooter is a Pride GOGO it will have to taken apart piece by piece to get it past the bed so that it can be parked/charge by the desk.
  2. Change your cabin to a standard balcony cabin that has the bed by the balcony and sofa by the bathroom.
  3. Try to get an accessible cabin.

The scooter must be stored in your cabin. Though the cabin steward may tell you the scooter can be left out in the hallway over it's not OK to do so. SOLAS ( Safety of Life at Sea ) regulations mandate that the scooter cannot be stored in the pbulic areas of the ship as it impeded the safety of all passengers in the event of an emergency.

Additionally the following is posted on Celebrity's Website:

Assistive devices including mobility scooters must be stored and recharged in your stateroom so fire doors, corridors and elevator lobbies are kept clear for emergency evacuation.
When parked throughout the ship, they must be parked out of the way to allow safe and easy access by other guests and crewmembers.

Thanks for the information I had a feeling I could not get it past the bed. I can change to another cabin with bed by the balcony but I had a problem as well with that. The bed is not facing the way we are travelling I do get motion sickness very easily and do find I need to sleep the way I am travelling. Do you happen to know if you can move the bed across to the other wall so you are facing the way of travelling. I know the lights over the bed would not be there but I could live with that. I know some people say you can't feel the way it's travelling but I can unfortunately.

Edited by Londongirl8

Thanks for the information I had a feeling I could not get it past the bed. I can change to another cabin with bed by the balcony but I had a problem as well with that. The bed is not facing the way we are travelling I do get motion sickness very easily and do find I need to sleep the way I am travelling. Do you happen to know if you can move the bed across to the other wall so you are facing the way of travelling. I know the lights over the bed would not be there but I could live with that. I know some people say you can't feel the way it's travelling but I can unfortunately.

What I may or may not think about whether or not changing the bed position would work means nothing. Only the cruise line can answer your question and would have to approve the change . This would have to all be sorted out before you change cabins and if the cruise line approves it suggest you get it in writing.