Celebrity Halong Bay last tender?

Deb0702

Does anyone have knowledge of the last tender for the Celebrity Millennium overnighting in Halong Bay? We are scheduled to overnight on Feb 14 - Feb 15. My plan was to go to Hanoi on Feb 14 and return late that evening, around 2300. But I just now realized that I have no idea at all about the last tender time that day. Will my plan even work? Does anyone have first hand knowledge?

Thanks so much for your help!

Yes, but is there a "last tender" when a ship stays overnight? We want to stay out late in the evening of February 14. Do they stop the tender service at a certain hour? That's what I need to know. We don't want to miss it and end up spending the night onshore. That would not be good..

That should be your working assumption. Here is Celebrity for Feb. 2017. It may not be your sailing but . . .

Tue Feb 14 Halong Bay: TENDERED

Arrive 7:00 a

Wed Feb 15 Halong Bay: TENDERED

Depart 1:00 pm

http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showpost.php?p=51439490&postcount=233

There was an identical sailing which has now returned (30th October); you can post on that roll call here and see if anyone has the answer.

Contacting Celebrity direct may be worthwhile also; 01932 834300 from the UK (for Spanieleyes).

Edit: Try this thread too.

Edited by ep1987

I have just returned from the October 30 sailing of the Millennium. The last tender in Halong Bay is at 22:15 as it is an UNESCO World Heritage site. The tenders resume the following morning.

Janice

Thanks Janice, as your sailing is identical to ours it would be great if you could share any tips or insights.

Here are a few tips:

1. Prior to the cruise on the website, Celebrity did not have any shore excursions listed for the second day in Hong Kong. When we got on the ship, there were many listed including a day trip to Macao. I have no idea why they did not have these listed in advance so you do not have to search for something to do on your own as the ship does have choices.

2. The half day Halong Bay boat trip was great. We had perfect weather and the stop at the cave was fabulous. We were lucky that it had not rained in a while so the footing was not slippery. Definitely worth the money.

3. We took a private tour to Hanoi on the first day in Halong Bay. It is definitely a long haul, 3-1/2 hours each way. No one had informed us prior to being on the ship that the last tender was at 22:15. One simply assumes that you can return whenever you want as the ship overnights there. Therefore, we had to inform our guide in advance and he had to make sure we returned in time. We returned in time and were exhausted. Hanoi is an experience with unbelievable traffic and no traffic lights. When you cross the street, just run.

4. We took a private tour in Danang and Hoi An. For Americans, Danang brings back all kinds of bad memories. However, it is now a beautiful beach town with large hotels, restaurants and a gorgeous beachfront. Hoi An is an ancient city, worth going to for the shops and architecture.

5. Saigon is a little less wild than Hanoi. However, if you are American, you must prepare yourself for the War Remnants Museum. The market is fun and try not to get lost but some nice bargains.

6. I would suggest overnighting in Bangkok. The trip back and forth to the ship is at least 2 to 2-1/2 hours. Ask your guide for a hotel that will be convenient for him to pick you up the next day. You will be able to see much more if you stay in the city.

7. We used the hop on, hop off bus in Singapore for two days. The Singapore 7 has about 4 routes and two days is about $5 more than one day. As it is so hot, I would recommend using it as walking is quite strenuous.

Hope this has been helpful.

Janice

Can i ask how long it took from going down to collect a tender ticket to arriving at the port in Halong Bay on day one?

Were there any delays getting on or off the ship at any ports due to immigration?

I'm specifically wondering what time to arrange to meet our tour guide at Laem Chabang (in Thailand we're doing Bangkok on day one and the area around Pattaya on day two because i really want to see a monastery and museum there)?

Thanks so much for your help.

Edited by ep1987