Travelling to Southampton

Krissyboi

Much better to use the train from York

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Maybe for you, but I would never consider it. Sorry.

Get to Malton station (somehow) with cases. Hope the hourly service is on time.

Lug suitcases across York Station

Battle with crowded and noisy trains from York down to Southampton (and finding space for all the cases on the train, and keeping an eye on them - yes cases do go 'missing')

Get from station to hotel

(and we don't travel light at Christmas! That's one of the benefits of going from Southampton...)

Husband has had one cardiac arrest 5 years ago, the stress of the above would not go down well... Both of us would be totally stressed out! We'd far rather drive. Have a night in a hotel and be relaxed and rested.

Sorry, after 2.5 years of trying to use various public transport options for work, I've given up. Quicker, cheaper and more convenient to use the car :(

Oh, and this time, were going down after I've done half day at work at Leeds... and hubby will spend the morning in Leeds... (luggage in car boot) so add in that complication to the above.. the trains don't take the strain ;)

Edited by Goosebear Mum

We did our first cruise in September and drove down from Perthshire. Stopped off for the night at the Premier Inn in Didcot about 15 miles South of Oxford. This left us about 60 miles to travel on the Saturday morning. We were back on the road by 6am, stopped for breakfast at the last Service station before Southampton (being so early weren't sure if any place in Southampton would be open for breakfast). Arrived at West Quay around 8.30, parked up and because it was our first time there went to located the ship and had a lovely walk along the promenade/port. We then did a bit of shopping and went for lunch. Drove down to Ocean terminal about 1pm and were in our cabin by 2pm even though we had been given an embarkation time of 3.30pm.

The drive down was smooth, missing rush hour because of the time we left and then taking the toll road at Birmingham to avoid rush hour there. There was one stretch of roadworks about 20 miles long where the limit was 50mph (can't remember where) but other than that no problems.

Much prefer to drive down than train or fly as once I've loaded the car I don't have to handle the luggage again or transfer from trains/coaches/taxis.

Secret is definitely to give yourself plenty time.

We always use Eavesway Coaches. OK leaves Glasgow at 3-30 in the morning but we are usually in our cabin by no later than 2-30 in the afternoon. 2 comfort stops for breakfast and lunch of about 45 minutes each and the odd pick up on the way but a very comfortable ride and bags of leg room. Usually manage to sleep most of the way so the time passes quite quickly and there is no problem with luggage - up to 3 cases each (20 kilos wieght limit each) plus hand luggage inside the coach