Playa del carmen-Keywest Nov 3-7

marty67

Hi, we just got off our Cruise last night. Key West was great and everything was back up and running. They sent us to Playa del carmen to make up for Cuzamel. We didn't know where we were going until Wed. morning when we got off our plane.

We decided just to go into town and shop for the day and use the public beach that was shown on the map they gave us. We had to tendor in that is where the day went wrong. It took us an hour to get on and off the boat each time. the first time they called groups 1-5 down there so we had five houndred people in a hall way trying to get on the boat. On they way back the water was so choppy they lost the gang plank so we were jumping from the little boat to our ship. People were getting hot and sick because their was no air and the rocking of the boat.

When we got into town we had the shopping map which looked like you got off right at the down town area where the public beach was. We had to walk fifteen blocks to get to that spot. but the shopping was nice and the people would haggle with you on prices. The boats Super Shopper was a dud on this trip.

We are glad we did the public beach, they also had a hotel right where we got off for $35 you could use their beach, pool, chairs and bar. It was a lot nicer then the beach they took the people from the ship.

When we booked this cruise it was the second time we took this rout because we wanted to shop. the crew did the best they could after Wilma but from what we heared from the people who did take some of the packages they still have some kinks to iron out.

We do hope to di this one again but after Cuzamel is back up and running.

I was on that boat too, we took the excursion to the "private resort" beach, and not something i would do again. We did it because it was included with the group we went with. It was horrible 45 minutes each way, the beach and water were nice, but we were also told that there would be shopping available for suvinours, there was one buisness there with outragous prices for mexican stuff not even made in mexico (i picked up an "heirloom" supposedly made by the father of the store ownere and it said made in taiwan)

The tethering was not a good route to go either, marty was right, with the waves and stuff it took well over an hour to get on and off, even before the boats left. Cut the extra hour we supposedly had in Playa Carmen from 6 total to about 3 1/2...

How about the small boat full of cubans which we couldnt find again? what are the chances that we either ran them over or they capsized in our wake??

How about the small boat full of cubans which we couldnt find again? what are the chances that we either ran them over or they capsized in our wake??

Wow, does anyone know what happened?? Did you see the boat? Did the captain say anything about them?

Sorry the port wasnt the best, buthopefully everything on the ship was great. Too bad you didnt get more notice so you could plan something...

Originally, I think we were supposed to have 10 hrs in Cozumel. By the time we dropped anchor in Playa del Carmen and actually got to the pier, it was already 2:00 (and I was in the first group). We had to be back aboard by 6:30pm, and that was with an "extra" hour that the captain gave us.

Is anyone else going to complain about this? I've been thinking of demanding a partial reimbursement from Carnival due to the short time alotted in Playa del Carmen.

Your thoughts?

Wow, does anyone know what happened?? Did you see the boat? Did the captain say anything about them?

Sorry the port wasnt the best, buthopefully everything on the ship was great. Too bad you didnt get more notice so you could plan something...

We too were on this ship. The captain did come on with an announcement that several passengers and crew spotted a liferaft and that he was turning around to go back and check to see if they needed help. Many people speculated that they were Cubans. We circled for about an hour to no avail.

Yes, the tendering at the port was a mess. Word is that Carnival will never use that company again. Our excursion to the beach and caves was cool, but Playa was a mess. I kept thinking to myself "why didn't Carnival wait and at least let these poor people clean up?". It was very sad in some places.

One last note on our cruise. Did anyone else think the food was bad? I've only been on one other cruise and it was really good. On this cruise, I felt like I was eating at a really bad Old Country Buffet. Oh well, it was fun anyways! Besides, I didn't go for the food!

We were jumping about 1 - 2 feet :(.

I thought the food was ok. The sevice could have been better in the big room when the afternoon stuff was going on.

I did notice that this week they are not going back there.

We will go back on this cruise when things get put back together.

Is anyone else going to complain about this? I've been thinking of demanding a partial reimbursement from Carnival due to the short time alotted in Playa del Carmen.

Your thoughts?

Good luck with that. Read you cruise contract the Cruiseline isn't obligated to take you to a port at all. :rolleyes:

Archived