First Cruise- Going to Alaska!!

Uncle Nicky

I agree that the scenery is amazing; in fact, we enjoyed the scenery while in transit even more than the ports.

However, our experience is that our balcony was a complete waste. We spent all day, every day, on the open decks, taking it all in. Next time we would get an oceanview cabin, low to the water, to see the water, sea otters, etc. up close during the times we weren't outside. We used our balcony one time, for an hour or so, our entire 10 days.

I see you are also from PA. We chose to fly to San Francisco for the 10 day Princess round trip. Much easier flying than Vancouver or Seattle. We used the Princess air and transfers, which turned out to be good value, and excellent for peace of mind.

My husband and I cruised to Alaska in May 2016. We chose an itinerary that included glacier bay. That was a must on my list. We also chose a balcony cabin. We sat with hot chocolate and watched all the scenery while in glacier bay! I searched and booked the cruise myself. My sister uses a travel agent. It would be up to you to decide which works for you. I read these boards for months and months, keeping lists of what people suggest. I booked the week the cruise we wanted came out, I did not want to miss getting a cabin lol! They had a promotion and we were able to get a drink package when we booked. I ordered Alaska rain jackets in advance (an idea from here) which came in handy in Ketchikan:) We booked the green jeep tour we read about on here as well as booking a helicopter ride/ glacier walk. Everything was so memorable for us and a perfect way to celebrate our 25th anniversary. Take your time to look at what you want to see and then read these boards for information. Remember too that you can't possibly do everything, so you will just have to plan a return trip!:D