Help me price compare RSSC to others

jsmeeker

I should have mentioned that my Radisson cruise was a two-for-one cruise, so I did have the advantage of a great price. Plus I booked way in advance, and the prices increased pretty significantly as the date drew closer. There were definitely other itineraries that, in a comparison between the two lines, Celebrity came out far less expensive. But Radisson does do quite a lot of special offers, so that's something that should be factored in as well.

LeeAnne

Well, I certainly wouldn't say I've cruised "alot", especially compared to so many people on this board, who've cruised WAY more times than I have (and of whom I'm quite envious!). But I have cruise both Radisson and Celebrity, as well as Royal Carribbean and Carnival, and in my mind, Radisson wins over Celebrity hands down in every category.

But "better" is a relative term. I do not mean to imply that I didn't enjoy my Celebrity cruise -- in fact, I had a marvelous time. And we're considering going on another Celebrity cruise this summer, taking our teenagers along. But to me, the two lines are not in the same category. And I daresay that most in here would agree with me, as would most professional travel critics or publications, where you would most often see Celebrity listed among the "Premium Mass Market" lines, and Radisson among the "Luxury Lines" (including here on Cruise Critic, where Radisson is listed among the luxury lines).

The best way I can explain it is to compare a stay at a nice Sheraton Hotel, vs. a 5-star luxury all-inclusive resort with white-glove service. (The difference being that, unlike a Sheraton, your primary meals in the main restaurants on a Celebrity cruise are included.)

I think a lot, however, depends on what you are looking for. We're considering the Celebrity cruise for our summer trip because we're taking our two teenagers, who would probably NOT appreciate what we love so much about Radisson, and will be far more likely to find other teens, as well as teen-related activities, on a Celebrity ship. However, I'm currently also booked to go on a PG cruise with my mother later in the year, sans kids, and I know it will be a wholly different experience more geared towards my tastes.

I should also point out that you are more likely to find more "younger" people on a Celebrity ship in general. But I'm 45, and I found more than enough people around my age on my Radisson Voyager Med cruise this past Spring, some with whom I've maintained contact, and one couple will actually be cruising with us on the PG next year!

In any case, this is just my assessment from my experience on those two lines. Certainly of the three mass-market lines I've experienced I would only cruise on Celebrity in the future, but if I had the choice, for MY personal tastes I'd choose Radisson in a heartbeat!

LeeAnne

I think LeeAnne says it pretty accurately, but I must add that on Celebrity you can fairly easily upscale your experience, as we do.

For example, if you are on the Millennium class ships, they have a specialty restaurant which, honestly, is far better than anything Radisson offers. It is a $25 charge, but well worth it. We tend to dine there 2-4 times a cruise (cruise length dependent). You can also find your way to Michael's Club which is a very comfortable but more formal "club". (It used to be a cigar club but now is a piano bar. It is much nicer than the cigar lounge on the Mariner, for example.) If you book a Concierge Class cabin you get many more amenities and if you book a suite you get those plus a butler, afternoon tea served each day, and other benefits. (Overall, the Radisson suites are better...but not versus the best Celebrity suites.) And Celebrity has overall better evening entertainment and some enrichment lectures, as well. (Radisson tends to have more, and generally better, enrichment programs.)

Radisson does provide some benefits for solos including being taken care of for dinner, some cruises have gentlemen hosts (not a big plus for 40 year olds), etc. There are also experiences which Radisson can provide and Celebrity just can't, such as Tracy Arm in Alaska, more exotic European ports and more personalized service on its smaller ships.

Such choices. Such problems!:)

Archived