Viking Amsterdam-Budapest cruise excursions

rhonpat

My sister and I are cruising in April with Viking. They list their included and optional excursions as easy, moderate, or demanding. Does anyone know how difficult the demanding tours are, like Marksburg Castle and the Bamberg walking tour? Thanks for any help.

Marksburg, according to my husband ( I chose not to go on that tour after hearing how difficult it could be) was in fact somewhat difficult especially with the surfaces wet with rain. Two people slipped on the rocky path and there were lots of steps. Your program director will be honest about the difficulty.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

When we visited Marksburg about 6 years ago, we took the little tourist road train up the hill to the parking lot. From there it was a steep walk up hill. The entry way was very uneven stone. There were quite a few stairs inside the castle. It you have a walking stick, cane or walking pole, take it along.

Marksburg Castle can be challenging. The bus will take you to the parking lot, then it is a winding ramp uphill to the castle. When you first enter the castle (so again when you leave) as nancyevans said there are very uneven stones and it's uphill (or downhill when returning). There is one narrow spiral staircase that you go up in the castle. Others are normal stairs. If you want to see a picture of the uneven stones, click on my Viking Grand European link in my signature and go to page 3 of my review. Toward the bottom (post #59) is the picture.

The only thing I found demanding about Bamberg was the walk up stairs to get to the Cathedral and the New Residenz and the beautiful rose garden with a great view over the city. That came at the end of the city walk and after that it was free time, so if you decided to go on the included tour but thought it too demanding to see the cathedral or rose garden, you could start your free time then. Bamberg was a nice little town, and the smoke beer was an interesting taste. The bus will be waiting in the same place you were dropped off.