Trying to choose between two cruisetours

dub345

I'd appreciate any advice on which one of these two cruisetours to choose.

The first is on the Coral Princess - 7 days from Vancouver to Whittier, followed by a 6 night land tour - 2 nights at Mt. McKinley Lodge, 2 nights at Denali Lodge, 2 nights at Fairbanks Riverside Lodge.

The second is on the HAL Zaandam - pretty much the same cruise stops/time in port, with the exception that it does not cruise College Glacier and ends in Seward. The land tour is 7 nights - 1 in Alyeska, 1 in Anchorage, 1 at Mt. McKinley Lodge, 2 nights at McKinley Chalet Resort, and 2 nights at the Fairbanks Westmark.

The price difference is $500 more for HAL - but the HAL cruise is for an OV cabin, while the Princess for an inside, and HAL has one more night on land. Both are guarantees, and include minimal amounts of OBC.

I'm wondering if the HAL itinerary is significantly better, and whether I'm correct in thinking that Princess lodges are a little nicer (and maybe the ship as well?) I've never been on either ship before and am usually a fan of Celebrity.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Janet

I haven't done a cruisetour yet, but we are booked with Princess for July. We went with one that is similar to your Princess option (land first though, and 2 nights in Anchorage, 2 Denali, 2 Mt. McKinley).

Everything I read advised to spend two nights in each stop on land since you spend so much time traveling. If you spend half the day getting to a lodge only to leave it at 8 am the next day, you will spend more time on coaches than at the lodges. I don't know how close the HAL locations are to each other, but I would look at distance and how much time you will actually have on those one night stays.

I'd appreciate any advice on which one of these two cruisetours to choose.

The first is on the Coral Princess - 7 days from Vancouver to Whittier, followed by a 6 night land tour - 2 nights at Mt. McKinley Lodge, 2 nights at Denali Lodge, 2 nights at Fairbanks Riverside Lodge.

The second is on the HAL Zaandam - pretty much the same cruise stops/time in port, with the exception that it does not cruise College Glacier and ends in Seward. The land tour is 7 nights - 1 in Alyeska, 1 in Anchorage, 1 at Mt. McKinley Lodge, 2 nights at McKinley Chalet Resort, and 2 nights at the Fairbanks Westmark.

The price difference is $500 more for HAL - but the HAL cruise is for an OV cabin, while the Princess for an inside, and HAL has one more night on land. Both are guarantees, and include minimal amounts of OBC.

I'm wondering if the HAL itinerary is significantly better, and whether I'm correct in thinking that Princess lodges are a little nicer (and maybe the ship as well?) I've never been on either ship before and am usually a fan of Celebrity.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Janet

First- do you know anything about these specific areas? Have interest in the touring available, have researched how you will spend your time, vendors? I find it "interesting", when it hasn't been done first. These tours are very different, and limited. Neither offer anything in either Seward or Whittier? Any interest especially in Seward- which HAL does offer. How did you come to select these two tours? Was there a feature that is a priority for you?

You don't mention what Denali tour is included?

With your HAL list- HAL is using the McKinley Princess Lodge???

Questions to ask yourself perhaps and only suggestions to offer you the information to make the right choice for your trip.

We have only been on one cruise tour so don't have much to offer except I can say we really enjoyed the night at Alyeska. It is a beautiful ski resort, a very nice time to catch up on relaxation one night without going out. Very nice restaurants in the resort, beautiful pool, tram ride up the mountain etc.

I can also say that the Princess lodges all looked very nice (although we didn't stay in them.) Our Royal Caribbean guide indicated that Princess has nicer lodges while RCCL has nicer and newer motor coaches and I would say that is true from what I observed. Not sure about HAL lodging or coaches.

Have fun planning.... !