Advice needed about logistics of taking own scooter

JLT

Nyksla, another possibility would be to talk to a local DME provider and ask if they have any folding scooters to rent. That way you could take it with you, have it in airports and to get on and off the ship, and any place you can put a suitcase, there is room for a folding scooter.

• 2 weeks later...
I have been renting a scooter for cruises for the past 5 years and it has made cruising much easier and more enjoyable. Now I am thinking about purchasing a scooter because it can get expensive for the longer cruises that I enjoy. Normally I would keep it in the trunk of my car and only use it when I have help getting it out and putting it together. But I am worried about using it for travel because I would be unable to lift the heavier parts. No problem when I travel with my family but my travel buddy can't help me. So I'm looking for tips and advice on how those of you who travel alone or without a helper manage. Until now the convenience of finding and leaving the scooter in my cabin has been great. I also want to thank all of you who post for everything I have learned about cruising.

My travel buddy and I both use power chairs and we have gone on many cruises with them, including on airplanes. I am able to walk a little, my friend cannot walk at all. We have never had a problem. Just be sure when you arrange transportation that you specify exactly what you need. We learned the hard way that there is a big difference between "accessible" transportation, and "wheelchair accessible" transportation!