Amber Cove with a 5 year old?

We are cruising to Amber Cove next month, and can't decide what to do. We have looked at several excursions, both independent and through the cruise line. We will have our 5 year old with us, so we're trying to avoid anything with a lot of drinking or cigar factories. Has anybody done the Cacao & Women's Chocolate Cooperative "cruise with a purpose" excursion through Holland America? It seems like it could be fun and educational. Would it be okay for our daughter? Any other excursion recommendations? My husband would prefer not to just stay at the port.

• 2 weeks later...
We are cruising to Amber Cove next month, and can't decide what to do. We have looked at several excursions, both independent and through the cruise line. We will have our 5 year old with us, so we're trying to avoid anything with a lot of drinking or cigar factories. Has anybody done the Cacao & Women's Chocolate Cooperative "cruise with a purpose" excursion through Holland America? It seems like it could be fun and educational. Would it be okay for our daughter? Any other excursion recommendations? My husband would prefer not to just stay at the port.

I did the chocolate cooperative with Fathom a few weeks ago. I don't think it would be a great idea for a 5 year old. We spent most of the time in a small room and it was somewhat repetitive work sorting beans and nibs. It was interesting for an adult but not really appropriate for a young child.

That said as an alternative i might suggest hiring a taxi- they charged $50 for the day- and going to the cable car. The ride up was fan and at the top - make sure to get a map- there are trails through the rainforest, a smaller version of the Rio Christ the Redeemer statue, an indigenous hut, turtle pond, beautiful views and flowers. After you come down maybe a short trip to the fort -$2.50 each - and then to the Cathedral on the main plaza, with a gelato store across the plaza. Maybe in the afternoon she could play in the children pool at Amber Cove.