Norwegian Gem vs Disney Fantasy

gidgetgoes

I posted this on another forum, I think it makes more sense here...

My family has only cruised the Disney Fantasy, balcony cabin. We are cruising the Norwegian Gem March 29 out of NYC, also balcony cabin. Ten year old son. I'm wondering about the relative comparison between the size and the spaces. I've looked at the ship profiles, it looks like the Fantasy is bigger, but not by much. It looks like the Fantasy can hold many more passengers, but there aren't that many more staff, which seems good for the Gem. My son was not impressed with the Fantasy kids club, as he couldn't get into the tween club where they keep all the video games. Just wondering about the different feel between these two specific ships. Thanks!!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

I posted this on another forum, I think it makes more sense here...

My family has only cruised the Disney Fantasy, balcony cabin. We are cruising the Norwegian Gem March 29 out of NYC, also balcony cabin. Ten year old son. I'm wondering about the relative comparison between the size and the spaces. I've looked at the ship profiles, it looks like the Fantasy is bigger, but not by much. It looks like the Fantasy can hold many more passengers, but there aren't that many more staff, which seems good for the Gem. My son was not impressed with the Fantasy kids club, as he couldn't get into the tween club where they keep all the video games. Just wondering about the different feel between these two specific ships. Thanks!!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

We've sailed all the DCL ships and been on the Gem twice, most recently in December.

They are night and day in my opinion. Fantasy is around 130,000 tons, Gem 94,000. Fantasy is the typical glittery DCL ship with lots of detail. Gem pretty much your normal cruise ship with not a lot of bells and whistles.

That being said, we do like the Gem and it looks nice after the last drydock. Gem won't have split baths like DCL.

Can't speak to the Gem's kids club. There is one small slide by the Gem pool which people tend to get stuck on since it isn't very steep. Two nice pools there though that typically won't be as crowded as the pools on DCL.

Entertainment is different obviously. We found most of the Gem entertainment very good.

I did DCL Fantasy two years ago and doing Gem for first time in April. Disney balcony (veranda) room are larger and comparable to the GEms mini suite room size

The Gem regular balcony room is 200 sq ft, smaller and doesn't include a curtain that separates the sofa bed and the main bed

The Gem mini suite room is 270 sq ft and will include that curtain. The gem balcony room does not have a curtain. Your room on board the Gem will be approx 30% smaller and without curtain compares to Disney fantasy. The fantasy equavalent will be the gem mini suite

Sent from my iPhone using Forums