Our Arabian Adventure onboard MSC Fantasia - 4th - 11th March 2017

peteukmcr

"First World Problem"? You definitely have to change your own attitude when in Italy, Spain, Greece etc and I suppose that is also the case on an Italian cruise liner. We enjoy our European holidays and MSC cruises immensely, just a case of chilling out and not expecting everything to be like clockwork, or run with German/U.S. efficiency (kinda like that as a change of pace).

I am totally aware of the ways of other Mediterranean countries and don't have to change my attitude thank you. I am pointing out the differences on this ship compared to how Splendida was run, and that was far more efficiently than this one imho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am totally aware of the ways of other Mediterranean countries and don't have to change my attitude thank you. I am pointing out the differences on this ship compared to how Splendida was run, and that was far more efficiently than this one imho.

Perhaps I should have used the non-specific "one" instead of "you" :o, as this comment was not directed at any individual.

We are joining the Fantasia on 23/3 so we'll see. We definitely need to "chill" as this will be our first holiday since 2015, been on the Splendida & Preziosa so far, hopefully the Fantasia isn't too chaotic :cool:.

We are on Fantasia on 25th March and im sure everything will be fine, it is just going with the flow and being chilled out. Been on her twice before and Splendida three times last year and enjoyed them both.

I am pointing out the differences on this ship compared to how Splendida was run, and that was far more efficiently than this one imho.

I'm glad that I'm not the only one to feel the way that you are about Fantasia, Pete. So many little niggles that didn't quite spoil the overall cruise, but left a bit of bad feeling that MSC seems to have a mean-spirited attitude when it comes to that ship. No shower caps, pens or Do Not Disturb card in the cabin, ONE gift between two Black Card holders (in our case) due to "low stock", running out of brands of wine and spirits and, when making a complaint about any of these issues, being told "We're waiting for the next container ...... blah, blah, blah.........."

Funny thing - I did an 11 night to the Canaries on Fantasia in Dec 2014 and didn't quite enjoy that one, either and wasn't looking forward to last week's cruise in the same way that I usually do. Also, up 'til this cruise, Fantasia was DH's favourite ship - he's not feeling the same way now.

I'm glad that I'm not the only one to feel the way that you are about Fantasia, Pete. So many little niggles that didn't quite spoil the overall cruise, but left a bit of bad feeling that MSC seems to have a mean-spirited attitude when it comes to that ship. No shower caps, pens or Do Not Disturb card in the cabin, ONE gift between two Black Card holders (in our case) due to "low stock", running out of brands of wine and spirits and, when making a complaint about any of these issues, being told "We're waiting for the next container ...... blah, blah, blah.........."

Funny thing - I did an 11 night to the Canaries on Fantasia in Dec 2014 and didn't quite enjoy that one, either and wasn't looking forward to last week's cruise in the same way that I usually do. Also, up 'til this cruise, Fantasia was DH's favourite ship - he's not feeling the same way now.

From some of the responses on here, I think I should have stated at the start, my reviews are 'warts and all' so if you think some of it is negative so be it, but I agree with Bea, lots of little niggles, but many positives too. We have shower caps (not that we need them) but no pens. We did get 2 gifts, one baseball cap and 1 bag. Anyway off for lunch and I may provide an update later but I'm a little reluctant to be honest.

Here's a couple of pics of the delicious cakes in Piazza San Giorgio

23ae1c8d7f781e4ffc234cd561247bed.jpg

385d0c1fd192e8ccfbfa7ad548277d25.jpg

efb0912b89828477d685fa558c65120c.jpg

The cake above is only €1.90 and the latte €2.20 but included in the premium package.

I said there were positives! I believe the cakes, pastries, desserts and gelato are the best we've ever had on a ship. Those offered on RCI are dire and prices sky high. I mean €0.80 for a cupcake, that'd be at least $3 plus 18% gratuity on RCI and they are awful.

Edited by peteukmcr

Thats part of why we do the premium package, the cakes are amazing plus there's the sundaes on deck and the speciality coffees although im not a coffee drinker. Looks great and definitely a positive :-)

Last night was Gala night so the tuxedos were out. There was a lot of activities taking place to present the crew on deck 5,6 & 7 and a chance to meet the captain.

Our complementary bottle arrived with chocolate covered fruits and so we raised a glass before we headed out. As dinner was not until 9:15 we decided to leave later for our pre dinner cocktail and head to Il Transatlantico where last night my choice of gin was Tanqueray (spelling?) as they no longer had Hendricks and we were offered ‘double, double!’ by our server who was charming. After this we got a glass of wine in La Cantina Toscana and were presented with a small plate of food! Great choice of venue. We then headed for dinner and our table mate from Yorkshire joined us as he was now feeling much better after his tumble.

Dinner service was great and the food good, salmon starter, salad, beef for main and dessert (which I can't remember). After dinner we tried a cocktail or 2 and retired, no disco last night!

Day 4 – Muscat

We awoke at 8 and we were already moored up at the port in Mutrah and we had a leisurely breakfast in the buffet, which was extremely quiet, so many people must have already set off on their excursions.

We disembarked collecting our landing ‘card’ (plastic credit card sized) and caught the shuttle bus, which is mandatory, to the cruise terminal where you get off the bus, go through the arrivals hall, have your bags and yourself security scanned and then exit the building to get on the bus again which then drops you at the port entrance. Following the advice of a friend who lived in Muscat until recently, we ran the gauntlet of the taxis drivers and walked along the sea front, past the fort admiring the views.

On our return we stopped for a beverage as the heat was rising steadily and then wandered around the souk which is a attack on your senses, from the range of goods on offer and the incenses burning. No hard sell which is good and then we return to the ship to escape the heat, hand back the landing cards which we were given on leaving and returned to our cabin and before we know it, its lunch time! As our attendant advised before we left this morning, the dividers were open as they were cleaning all the balconies whilst we are in port today and they hadn't quite finished but with the sun beating down I wouldn't be spending much time on there, well in the shaded area maybe.

The temperature is rising and is now 28c (84f) and boy it's hot. Lunch is always interesting as there is so much choice with several pizzas, burgers, salads, hot roast, pastas, fish, meats and cheeses offered. Skipped dessert this time and headed off to Piazza San Giorgio for a latte and piece of sour cherry cake. I can't get over the variety of cakes and pastries offered on board and the low prices. A cupcake for €0.80 which would be around $3 plus 18% gratuity on Royal Caribbean and I can say aren't very nice. The coffee at €2.20 is wonderful and again at least half the price of specialty coffees on other lines.

We return to our cabin and attempted to catch some sun, but it must be my age, but it's too hot for us, even in the shaded area, which is getting smaller as the sun moves around.

No doubt it'll be another ‘relaxing’ afternoon which means nodding off whilst reading!

We've made reservations for our complementary Black card dinner in the El Sombrero Tex Mex at 8:30 pm, which is more like the time we'd choose to dine. We know there's a limited menu for this complementary dinner, but what is offered is fine for us.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Meant to say, I find the Gaudi bar on deck 15 very handy for grabbing a drink to enjoy on our balcony before getting ready for dinner. I know there's the mini bar, but at the Gaudi bar I can get my Bombay Sapphire- for now LOL

Btw were on deck 12 towards the aft so it's only a short walk up the stairs to the Gaudi bar

Edited by peteukmcr

Hi thanks for the review points keep them coming, your day in Oman sounds exactly like our perfect port day. You've picked our favourite bar on deck at the back, takes most new people a few days to find it if at all. Plus we always enjoy a glass of Provence Rose in the wine bar before dinner :-)

Oh and before I forget, especially with regards to the bathroom in the cabin, it's got the coldest and hottest water with fantastic pressure in both the wash hand basin and shower. That's far better than some other lines where there's little difference between hot and cold in the wash basin, and the pressure is weak, although the showers are usually ok.

OK so as you can see, there's no escape from the sun, even on such a big balcony

8cb8c939189f8914f6c29a976c73d246.jpg

So I retreated to another favourite spot - Il Cappuccino

e8a512854db0ddbe09d9a2b2bd0c4f21.jpg

For a Caramel Coffee Frost

80b4be98028cbac4d6d7742d9da6e955.jpg

Pete ........ we didn't like what was offered on the fixed menu in El Sombrero so they allowed us choose from a la carte. Don't know if that had anything to do with knowing the waiter

Sent from my SM-G935F using Forums mobile app

We'll have to see as the one on Splendida was fine for us. I'll report back later.