Single parent on the Dream (5 day bahamas)

Robbiesox15

Hi I am a divorced mom and considering cruising alone with my kids. I'm looking at the Dream 5 day Bahamas itinerary. We've done a bunch of cruises, but this would be the first time with me traveling without another adult or another family. Looking for some feedback as a single parent. Thanks!!

I took my dd-5 and ds-9 (first time) 3 times. Since they loved the clubs I had plenty of free time with no worries about them .... we'd done the parks several times and once they cruised it was their choice .....

You pay full fare for the first 2 people in a cabin....which means you get to pay full price for your oldest child. Obviously you will need documentation allowing you to take the children out of the country; that's one I didn't have to deal with.

Other than that, DCL is a breeze. I had a rule that my daughter had to attend one activity in the programming each day in order to give me a break. On some DCL cruises she loved the programming; on others she really didn't care for it. But I needed that one hour of kid free time. Depending on the ages involved. i basically did my work at home in advance--organizing clothing, etc. My logic was that on cruises longer than 7 nights, I'd plan to do laundry; shorter than 7 nights, I'd pack for the entire vacation.

Really not sure what else to tell you. DCL sometimes has luncheons with a cast member for "single parent or traveling solo." I attended maybe twice; it was "just OK" and I'd rather plan my own lunch time and location.

Unless you have a reason to get off the ship in Nassau, I'd stay on board and enjoy the less crowded ship.

Edited by moki'smommy

Hi I am a divorced mom and considering cruising alone with my kids. I'm looking at the Dream 5 day Bahamas itinerary. We've done a bunch of cruises, but this would be the first time with me traveling without another adult or another family. Looking for some feedback as a single parent. Thanks!!

Cruised as a solo dad with 6YO, 3YO and 18 month old. Disney is awesome at this and took care of anything and everything. Get them signed up and visit the kids club right away to spark their interest and you should have fewer problems with anxiety later on. The open house is perfect for this.

Disney does (or did) a single cruisers event at some point during the cruise, which is useful as there may be other moms or dads with a similar dynamic. Depending on your kids ages, they can go to the kids club while you get some no-kid time.

Dinners are a special treat, especially if like me you are used to making up plates for the kids, filling cups, getting napkins and eventually standing at the counter to eat your own dinner. Servers will pretty much handle all your typical mom duties and you can just eat.

Feel free to post any specific questions, especially with respect to age ranges for the children as we experienced the young ones, but others have travelled with older kids.

My daughter and I are headed for our 6th DCL cruise next year. It is an awesome way to travel where you both can have fun and time to yourself and lots of family time too.

I would suggest finding and joining the meet group for your cruise. I have met up with other single parents or families with kids close in age online and it helps to have someone to hang with.

Have fun!

I've sailed alone with my kids starting at about 4 years old. They both love cruises. We've sailed Disney and two other lines. It's such a great way to spend time together!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

I am a single mom of a 7 yr old girl looking for other single parents going on DD June 21. It's my first Disney Cruise. Any activities/tips welcome.

quote=SDJen;52742002]My daughter and I are headed for our 6th DCL cruise next year. It is an awesome way to travel where you both can have fun and time to yourself and lots of family time too.

I would suggest finding and joining the meet group for your cruise. I have met up with other single parents or families with kids close in age online and it helps to have someone to hang with.

Have fun!

Look in the Navigator to see whether they have a hosted luncheon for "single parents or cruising solo." Not a meat market at all....just a bunch of people enjoying lunch. It will be on sea days, but not sure if they do it on the short cruises.