Atlantis San Diego to Mexico Cruise October 14 - 21, 2017

RBCal

Hi Guys,

Well I am really on the fence about whether to join this cruise or not. I am a widowed gay man, 59 years old. I like the idea of a getaway surrounded by gay men. What do Y'all think? Would I have a good time and be included and welcomed into the gang? I am a pretty sociable fellow, just a little awkward after 36 years of being the other half of a couple. I wonder if the cruise ship atmosphere would be fun for me......

Thoughts?

Alan

Come enjoy your self. There is always a good mix of folks on the Mexico charter. This. Our 4th in a row. Im in mid 50s. And we always have fantastic time and the Oosterdam is a nice ship and the HAL crews enjoy having us on board . Met folks into late 80s and they enjoyed it

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi Guys,

Well I am really on the fence about whether to join this cruise or not. I am a widowed gay man, 59 years old. I like the idea of a getaway surrounded by gay men. What do Y'all think? Would I have a good time and be included and welcomed into the gang? I am a pretty sociable fellow, just a little awkward after 36 years of being the other half of a couple. I wonder if the cruise ship atmosphere would be fun for me......

Thoughts?

Alan

Well, you won't know unless you try it. I've been on many of these charters and always met wonderful guys from all over the world from 21 to 80 in age. These charters tend to attract about 50/50 singles/couples so you won't be alone. I'm going solo and I never go with any "per conceived" idea of what it's going to be like or who I'll meet. Every cruise is different. I've generally found that since these charters cater to wide group of guys from all overall; you don't find any attitude and everyone is pretty friendly and easy going. It's only 7 days out of your life. It's not like you are committing to a 3 month world cruise. My best advise is just go with a positive attitude and big smile on your face. Atlantis does a pretty good job with entertaining everyone and there is so much to do that you'd have to work at being bored. Atlantis does have singles events & cocktail parties and there are usually 2 hosted single's dinner on each cruises. At other evenings Atlantis' staff seat singles at large table for dinner so you won't eat alone unless you want to. I highly recommend going. Hope to see you on board. :cool: Jim

Well ok then,

I am going to treat myself to a nice cruise. I am coming on board with an open attitude and ready to find other happy folks to hang with. It is great to know I can be all alone, or just outside will be a whole world of wonderful, interesting people, and we will be AT SEA! And I love to be on the ocean! See you on board.....won't this be fun! And my first time on Holland America so I can check them out.

That's the spirit Alan,

Here's to a fresh start and new adventures.

Well thank you! It seems like the right time.....I have been married and living a quiet happy life for years. I think my late husband is cheering me on and wants me to just go, let go, and have a merry ole time!

I cannot tell you how I look forward to this adventure. From the time the car picks me up for my flight I will just relax and enjoy myself surrounded by lots of like minded folk!

Feeling some major gratitude!

Well ok then,

I am going to treat myself to a nice cruise. I am coming on board with an open attitude and ready to find other happy folks to hang with. It is great to know I can be all alone, or just outside will be a whole world of wonderful, interesting people, and we will be AT SEA! And I love to be on the ocean! See you on board.....won't this be fun! And my first time on Holland America so I can check them out.

Nice you've decided to go. It's all in your attitude. :D Atlantis hosted a singles get-together in one of the lounges right after we sail out of San Diego. Hope to see you there! Atlantis will send out a full guidebook with all info on the ship, entertainment and activities including themed parties about 2 week prior to departure. Also, Atlantis brings on a surprised guest entertainment...on my last cruise is was Roseann Barr, but on past cruises we'll had Debbie Reynolds, Charo, Jennifer Hudson, Belinda Carlisle (Go Go's band); Comedian Margaret Cho, etc.

Starting to feel excited for the cruise down to Mexico!

Me too. You should have gotten an email from Atlantis regarding "themed" parties. HAL is sending booking #'s to Atlantis by today and Atlantis should send your HAL # so you can on-line check-in and well as book shore excursions. The full guide to Atlantis Mexico's cruise guide should be send by the end of this week with the full entertainment line-up day by day.

The party themes are

Superstars

Everyone’s famous in this media-crazed world, and tonight is our celebration of stars from every realm. From sports to super, movie to musical, now to never, reality to regal, exquisite to x-rated, they’re all invited. Voyeurs and paparazzi more than welcome!

Under the Sea

Get down in a whole new way at our sexy underwater fantasy world! Mermaids, mermen, sailors, lost swimmers, lifeguards, mythic heroes, and all other sea creatures welcome. Or put on some goggles and enjoy the show!

Atlantis White Party

Simply the hottest, sexiest, and most outrageous party at sea. One fabulous color. Endless possibilities. And everybody looks good in it!

Dog Tag T-Dance

The longest-running Atlantis signature party brings everyone together for an afternoon of inspired silliness. Start with a very loose interpretation of military wear and we’ll do the rest.

Soaked! T-Dance

Get ready to get WET at the wildest, silliest party in Atlantis history. It’s a splashdown by the pool where everyone’s a kid again. Water guns and toys allowed within reason, but you must check them in upon arrival and they will be delivered to your room the morning of the party. Please don’t pack in your checked luggage.

Revival Classic Disco T-Dance

Disco lives on as we take you back to the glory days of the 70s with an afternoon of pure musical magic on the dance floor. Artificial fabrics, excess facial hair, oversized shoes, and other obnoxious accessories welcome!

Wow :confused: So far six parties, and I've already started to sorted out what to wear. Hopefully they'll allow jocks, otherwise plan B.

I think I have enough.....I will never be the best or the worst, but I will show up and make and effort!

Will there be special shore excursions for us? I have been to 2 out of 3, but never with hundreds of other friends. Late departure from PV might provide a nice diversion.

So excited to go on this ship.....making my plans....looking forward to a final schedule soon......

A PV tour company has been advertising outings in Puerto Vallarta

http://gaypv.mx/hop/tours/

Don't know how good or expensive they are. Most people are probably heading on their own to the gay beach (Blue and Green chairs at southern end of Romantic Zone). Cabo and Mazatlan are relatively short port stays in comparison to PV.

Note the last time I was at all 3 port calls I found Cabo most expensive, than PV and Mazatlan cheapest for souvenirs and artwork. Cabo actually has a state department warning due to high levels of drug violence. If you want to snorkel though Cabo had the best snorkeling.

This warning has been there for a while. Just stay the main roads and main routes to beaches and shops... go with others... lot of it common sense. Chk Canada warns for Mexico and compare. Feel no worse than Hunters Point, Tenderloin area of San Francisco.

We're really looking forward to the cruise. 4th Mexico cruise in row

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Well if we want to go ashore I am sure it is easy to have fun. I remember lots of good days on the beach at Msatzatlan and PV, but we will be on a beautiful ship and can always stay aboard for a spa treatment or lay by the pool. No matter weather or woe, we will have a wonderful time on this Mexico Cruise!

Why does Atlantis schedule this cruise in October? It's rainy and hurricane season in that part of the world.

Because it is easy money for Atlantis and on a smaller cruise ship compared to almost all of their other MEGA ships.

You have to look at it from a business perspective.

1. To your own point, It is the off-season (full cruise ship chartering is cheaper at this time)

2. The probability that the cruise line will sell the ship out is much lower than Atlantis selling it out. Atlantis comes close to selling out every ship they charter.

(the objective of the cruise line is to sail a FULL ship to maximize profits and ancillary incomes). The full staff of 800 workers will serve a non-sold out ship of 700 passengers equaling money loss because the same 800 staffers would be required for a sold out ship of 1800 passengers. Workers of cruise ships are typically on 6-8 month contracts to stay on the ship and live and work for that period, so the staff of a ship does not get cut based on volume of people. It's always the same. If you own a McDonalds and it is not busy one night, you can cut your staff back and let people go home early - here you can't.

This point was long so to recap, in short, the cruise line wouldn't be sailing with a full ship anyway ...so it is better to let Atlantis charter it to sell out the ship and guarantee the Cruise Line an income of "cash flow positive" in a world where people decide money is tight so no vacation this year.

3. The itinerary is always the same on the Mexican Riviera cruise by Atlantis (Cabo, PV, Mazatlan) so it's easy to recycle the outline of events, ...and it is also more manageable to wrangle 1800-2400 guests on this mid-size ship than it is on all of the other HUGE Atlantis ships that host 5000 plus guests.

4. Modern cruise ships (anything Atlantis charters) have good technology to be able to tell where storms are, with enough lead time to get to safety and shift the itinerary. The itinerary can always be shifted per your agreement of carriage. No refunds or credits unless it is at the expense of the line or Atlantis (if you get anything back it would be just for good customer service and PR - they don't have to).

Also, realize that the Atlantis "Staff" that they bring on are volunteers. They get a free vacation, the one that you get. But not a lot more than that. They're fanboys. The only people that are paid on the Atlantis crew by Atlantis are the Cruise Director and the "Producer" and DJs.

Hope this helps!

Edited by Adventure_Seeker_Sean