11308 vs 11908 for Bermuda and walk time to courtyard?

lmintzer

If you were to book an Aft Haven Suite on 11 (I like the two doors to the balcony), would you book port or starboard for views out of NYC and in Bermuda?

Also what would you estimate walk time to Haven courtyard to be? My mom and her husband will be stayiing in the courtyard accessible stateroom.

Would it be feasible for her to scooter down to our stateroom for sailaway? I would love for us to enjoy it together on our balcony.

As much as I'd like to stay in the courtyard with her, the 2 bedroom is a lot more expensive--it's hard to justify the cost. This is already a big splurge for us. I think the courtyard penthouse would be too tight a squeeze for myself and my two teens boys (and not the right beds).

TIA.

We stayed in 11308 and loved it. Being your in the aft suite you can see both the NY skyline and Statue of Liberty. It's about a 5 to 7 minute walk to Haven courtyard. Your mother can scooter to your room but the hallways are narrow. If there's a cleaning cart in hallway she won't be able to get by. Your going to live the balcony it's huge. We had breakfast out there most of the week. You only get sun out there going to Bermuda in the AM. Ramona was our butler then, she was great.have fun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for your message and feedback. I am excited! I have a feeling the balcony won't get quite as much use as it "deserves," because I'll be running around with my kids (doing the ropes course and slides) and also hanging out in the Haven with my mom. But I'm hoping we'll have a few meals out there and enjoy it for sailaway. I also am not likely to be "out" late at night, so I can imagine myslef sitting out there relaxing waiting for my 16-year-old to come "home" for the night. Typical, right?

Hopefully it's the right call, and I know from past experience we will appreciate the two bathrooms!!

It makes no difference from 11908 or 11308. When docked at NYC, aft of ship faces out toward NJ. During sail away, you have a panoramic view of the Hudson with NYC on your right and NJ and the Statue of Liberty on your left. We had 11908 on the Breakaway, and were closer to the Statue of Liberty side, but did not affect the NYC side at all. In Bermuda, it depends on the side the captain dock (port or starboard, it used to alternate) but we, again, had full panoramic views.

*If you look in my signature, you will find my review of suite 11908 with many photos.

The walk time to Haven is about 10 minutes tops. We took many different routes to that area, and it wasn't a bad walk. And it would be easy for her to scooter down, If I remember, Deck 11 went all the way forward to aft, but could always go down a level or two then take aft elevator back up to 11.

Enjoy your aft suite! It is our favorite cabin in the fleet!! Again, the link to my photos are in my signature below, just expand and click the link

Thanks, Michelle. I did read and enjoyed your review! It's good to know you can see both Lady Liberty and the skyline from the balcony! I am super excited about this.

My mom can walk, but I don't think she can cover that much distance right now. So the scooter would be the way for her to cross the ship. She will walk without it within the Haven complex.

I am fine with the additional exercise! Will be a good way for me to stay ahead of the "cruise calories."

Thanks for your message and feedback. I am excited! I have a feeling the balcony won't get quite as much use as it "deserves," because I'll be running around with my kids (doing the ropes course and slides) and also hanging out in the Haven with my mom. But I'm hoping we'll have a few meals out there and enjoy it for sailaway. I also am not likely to be "out" late at night, so I can imagine myslef sitting out there relaxing waiting for my 16-year-old to come "home" for the night. Typical, right?

Hopefully it's the right call, and I know from past experience we will appreciate the two bathrooms!!

Our daughter was about the same age on the Breakaway. I highly suggest downloading the iConcierge app and activating it for you and your teen (under $10 pp). A great way to text back and forth. Daughter did what she wanted and then texted "where are you?" and always met up with us because of that app. Allowed us the freedom to go where we wanted and then meet up without a search. Just make sure teen understands that phone be kept in airplane mode unless you have an international phone plan.

Yep, we used iConcierge on the Pearl last summer. My younger son (12 at the time) stayed with me for the most part, but the older one roamed--and made new friends and had a great time. This time, the younger one might want to venture out a little more, too. Problem with iConcierge was that it was terribly inconsistent. At least on the Pearl. Maybe it'll be better for us on the Breakaway. Breakfast with that view looks fantastic!

You can always give your daughter the portable phone that's in your suite. All you have to do is call your cabin ( you can call from ant phone on the ship) and you can keep in though with her that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After all of that thinking and planning, I talked to my mom about specific rooms, and she sounds like she would feel much more comfortable if we were staying closer by (in the courtyard). Given what a terrible 2 years she has had with her chronic pain/back issues, I get that she is anxious about taking such a big trip. So I may have to scrap the beautiful balcony and stay in the courtyard. She certainly more than deserves every chance and an enjoyable vacation! I will (hopefully) have more opportunities to try an aft suite at some time in the future.

The thing I honestly feel I'll miss the most is the open-air views from the aft. I'm not a big fan of the high glass walls that seem to be everywhere when you get up on the high decks (I'm sure they are needed to block the wind).

To me, there's nothing quite like an unobstructed view of the horizon. Looking through glass just isn't the same.