Aft Cabins - Good, Bad, or Indifferent

Joe_Antonelli

Trying to decide whether or not to book an AFT cabin on the Summit on the February 7, 2005. Specifically the Penthouse - I'm a bit concerned about the vibration and since we've never cruised in a aft cabin, I'd like to know your experiences. Thanks for the input.

Joe

My mom and sister had the Penthouse on the Summit for their cruise this past January. It's a fantastic suite, actually the nicest I've ever seen. We didn't notice much in the way of vibration with the exception of coming into port. And even then, it wasn't all that bad. But even a little vibration doesn't spoil the wonderful experience of being in the PH.

Darcie

Thanks Kitty9, I know you're more of a Crystal Cruiser (I lurk on that board as I debate to move "up" to Crystal for a cruise to Alaska in 2005). Anyhow, thanks for the input regarding my question about the Summit - I see by the poll everyone seems to have had an "excellent" experience - so I might just go for it.

Joe

We had an aft cabin on our August, 2002 Alaska cruise aboard Infinity. We really enjoyed it and thought it was an outstanding cabin (and balcony) EXCEPT when we encountered bad weather and high seas. At one point we had 20' swells and you could definitely feel the motion much worse in our cabin than mid-ship. In addition, when Infinity had to do a 180 degree turn mid-passage, we were about 'bucked' out of bed with the motion that the side thrusters created.

All in all, if the seas are calm the aft cabins are the best!!

Hilary

We were in an aft cabin on the Infinity and our experience from a noise and vibration standpoint was excellent. Only when the ship was pulling into and out of port was their some vibration felt and it was mild.

Your poll really needs to worry specifically about aft cabins on the Millennium class ships because the aft cabins on the Century class ships have much more vibration during similar port maneuvers. It was more noticeable to us but not a big deal. However a few people on these boards have been put off by it in the past.

Jubilee 1991 Solar Eclipse

Century FO 1996 E Carib

Mercury FO 1998 W Carib

Galaxy SS 2000 Alaska IP

Infinity FV 2002 S Carib

Horizon HS 3/05 W Carib

Archived