What to wear for dinner?

CJJSmith

I am going on the 4 night Bahama cruise on the Majesty in 10 days!!! I have been on 2 4 night cruises on carnival and the nights in the dining room were all pretty dressy with 1 formal night. When I was on a 7 day on RC in APril, no one seemed to dressed up in the dining room with the exception of 2 formal nights.

Just curious can you tell me what attire is appropriate for dinner on the Majesty? I am assuming business casual type wear other than formal night.

Thanks for you help.

This is always a poser isn't it.

I myself like to dress up. Spend time putting the old polyfilla on etc and I love to put a nice long floaty dress or a skirt and sexy basque top for the formal nights. But.......... and this is the thing, not everyone makes the effort to dress up for those formal nights. I am always worried that I have over-dressed for the table.

I have only cruised once and that was on Explorer doing the Caribbean. I bought a nice satin long skirt with two basques - well - there was no problem as i saw at the Captain's cocktail party many many females all dressed up, some way over the top and some, well.. we wont go there.

Anyway, off we proceeded to our table in the dining room and not one man had a tux on nor one women had made the effort. All around us the other tables looked magnificent, all the men in their tuxs and women with all their jewels on.

I have read on these boards that some posters say "we dont care what we wear, why cant we go to the dining room in our beach clothes and my husband doesn't own any trousers he only wears shorts, we are on vacation, we will wear what we want".

Um yes they are on vacation but then why stress that certain nigths are formal nights for this sort of attitude.

I would hate to sit down in my jeans and top with a table full of people tarted up. I would feel so uncomfortable. And again when we sat down on the Explorer again we felt uncomftable being all dressed up whereas the others looked like they had just walked in off the street.

It would be nice to be sat at a table with people who think like we do. I guess the thing is is to tactfully ask your tablemates on the first night what sort of dress they have for the formal nights and go from there.

What does everyone else think or has experienced?

On our last cruise we had that problem... one of the woman at the table wore jeans every night. They were NICE jeans and she wore a nice shirt and heals, but they were still jeans and I thought jeans were not allowed in the dining room. They didn't bring any formal clothes with them.

I, myself, love to dress up for dinner. I really don't care if some of the people at my table aren't dressed up - because I feel good about myself regardless... I just want to kow what every one here thinks is appropriate to wear since you have all been on so many cruises with RC. I love the idea about casually asking your tablemates what they are wearing for formal night! lol.

Hi Cathy

Perhaps I should take a leaf out of your book then. It does gall me when I have gone to the effort to look nice and the other tablemates haven't.

Its a shame that RCL cant devise some sort of questions on their booking form when you choose which sitting you want, how would you be dressing on formal nights? That way they can put the yobs all together. LOL.

I do think that some people just do not know how to dress. I have a friend who is going to her first work's XMas dinner/dance and it says on the invite "dinner jacket". Well, when she showed me what she intended wearing I was amazed. A skirt with a nice blouse. I had to put her right and went shopping to kit her out in the most lovely floaty chiffony cocktail dress. She did not believe it was herself when she looked in the mirror. Some people just do not know.

Also, surely part of going on a cruise is that you get to "dress up to the nines"????

Archived