Excursion Ideas - Portland Port (Dorset) United Kingdom

8 hours ago, Boobila said:

I am arriving there on May 11, 2022 and would like to go there from the cruise harbor and perhaps walk from Lulworth to Durdle door if that is possible????  How would I get to the point that I begin walking? Thanks in advance for the information! Helen

Yes, there's a well-trodden path over the Downs between Lulworth Cove and Durdle Door. Something over a mile, about 30 mnutes minimum.

You can only do this on a private or shared tour - the public bus service is waaaaay too limited.

Normal routine is for the driver to drop you at one end (Lulworth Cove is the better start point) and collect you at the other end. If a shared tour you need to check whether the stop is long enough - which of course it will be if you organise sharing thro your cruise roll-call 😉.

I'm pretty certain that there's no regular tour offering "seats on bus/ van" from the port, and there aren't many tour operators in the area, so you'll need to do some digging. You can start with this link to Cruise Critic threads about Portland, they include the names of some local operators

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/search/?q=Portland&quick=1&type=forums_topic&nodes=148

Bear in mind that because Portland is a Royal Navy port, security means that tour operators, taxi drivers, etc need advance permission (or mebbe a meeting point near the port gate).

DIY touring by rented car isn't in itself difficult, but there are no rental agencies near the port so you'd need to arrange a taxi in advance to take you 4 or 5 miles to a rental agency in Weymouth -  costng you both time & money.

JB 🙂

• Like 1