Guernsey Occupation Museum

We are interested in doing the loop bus as well as Occupation Museum. Can you take the bus to go to the Occupation Musuem? Is the museum right in the town when you get off the tender or do you have to take a taxi there anyway?

We are interested in doing the loop bus as well as Occupation Museum. Can you take the bus to go to the Occupation Musuem? Is the museum right in the town when you get off the tender or do you have to take a taxi there anyway?

The German Occupation Museum is not in town, you can either take a taxi or one of the buses, as it is near the airport. www.buses.gg is the website for the local bus service. Number 91 is a clockwise, around the island bus, which will stop near to the museum, the 92 goes anti-clockwise. The 93 and 94 (town to the airport and onwards) would also stop close to the museum or the 95 town to the airport and back. If you want to see some of the island independently, I would take the 92 all around the island, then stop at the museum. When you want to come back to town, you are then not relying on the round the island bus (this is very popular), and could just jump on another one of the buses listed. If you can, try to visit the Little Chapel, which is not far, but not close enough to walk. There are also daily guided walks by accredited guides in St Peter Port everyday at 10:30am, no need to book.

Please feel free to post any other questions, and I will try to assist.

So to come back we could just go on the 92 back to the town? how long does it take to see the museum?

The 92 will likely be completely full of cruise passengers taking the round the island route and not disembarking. You could:-

1) Walk to the airport (5-10 mins) and get the 71 back to town

2) Walk to the main road (less than 5 minutes) and take the 93 back to town

3) The 94 from the airport or main road, but this is a very long route back into town

4) Possibly the 95 from the airport back to town

I would take a timetable and ask at the museum just before you leave for their advice. There is also a tourist information desk within the airport terminal who would be able to assist as well.

I am not sure how long it would take to see the museum, I would contact them direct and ask on average how long each visitor spends looking around. Sorry, I have not been to this museum as yet, but I intend to go at some point this year.

The German Occupation Museum is not in town, you can either take a taxi or one of the buses, as it is near the airport. www.buses.gg is the website for the local bus service. Number 91 is a clockwise, around the island bus, which will stop near to the museum, the 92 goes anti-clockwise. The 93 and 94 (town to the airport and onwards) would also stop close to the museum or the 95 town to the airport and back. If you want to see some of the island independently, I would take the 92 all around the island, then stop at the museum. When you want to come back to town, you are then not relying on the round the island bus (this is very popular), and could just jump on another one of the buses listed. If you can, try to visit the Little Chapel, which is not far, but not close enough to walk. There are also daily guided walks by accredited guides in St Peter Port everyday at 10:30am, no need to book.

Please feel free to post any other questions, and I will try to assist.

Hey Guernseycruiser, how does the German Occupation Museum compare to the La Vallette Underground Military Museum? The German Occupation Museum sounds more interesting, but La Vallette is certainly more convenient to the port. Appreciate your thoughts (or those of other cruisers who may have experienced both)

Hey Guernseycruiser, how does the German Occupation Museum compare to the La Vallette Underground Military Museum? The German Occupation Museum sounds more interesting, but La Vallette is certainly more convenient to the port. Appreciate your thoughts (or those of other cruisers who may have experienced both)

Hey ratfam. I am very embarrassed to say that I have not visited either of these museums, although they are on the "to do" list for this year (I know, you visit places thousands of miles away, but not ones which are on your doorstep). From others comments, I think the German Occupation Museum would be more interesting, although La Vallette is more convenient. It is very easy to get to the German Occupation Museum, you can either take a taxi or a bus (any bus that is leaving from town to the airport will pass the closest stop). The bus only costs GBP1 per sector.

Hey ratfam. I am very embarrassed to say that I have not visited either of these museums, although they are on the "to do" list for this year (I know, you visit places thousands of miles away, but not ones which are on your doorstep). From others comments, I think the German Occupation Museum would be more interesting, although La Vallette is more convenient. It is very easy to get to the German Occupation Museum, you can either take a taxi or a bus (any bus that is leaving from town to the airport will pass the closest stop). The bus only costs GBP1 per sector.

Thanks much, and you are right we never take advantage of the chance to be tourists in our own town!