Zica virus

tunisbridal

I am booked on RCL and have a cruise this weekend. I received an email from them regarding the ZIKA, along with a link. It's out there, so I didn't pick any excursions where I will be deep in areas where a lot of bug bites can happen. I think they spray in a lot of areas. I've never been bitten by a mosquito while on an excursion and have been on a lot of excursions. I am definitely going to use bug spray while I am off of the ship.

I think it's a small risk, but it is there and the cruise ships do send out emails about it. I was on a Carnival ship earlier this year and got an email about it. I have adult children, so I am not as concerned as someone who is younger and could get pregnant. Personally, I would not go on a cruise where the Zika is prevalent if I was pregnant or could get pregnant. It's a personal decision and everyone has to decide for themselves on the risks. If a male gets the Zika virus, he might not have symptoms, but could infect another person by having sex. That is why it is also a good idea for the males to use bug spray to not only protect themselves, but to protect their partners.

• 3 weeks later...

Zika is still going strong... bring some off with deet. If they do get it, the CDC recommends waiting 6 months after exposure before getting pregnant. I think the news is just over it, so we aren't hearing about it as much.

Zika is still going strong in the Caribbean. I had to cancel a cruise last winter after learning I was pregnant due to concerns about zika, and I certainly would advise avoiding the caribbean if you are considering getting pregnant within 6 months of traveling there as zika effects on a fetus can be devastating and the most recent statistics I have seen are up to 10% or pregnant women or more are having babies with adverse effects from the virus when infected during pregnancy. While it was hard to make the decision to cancel, as it was supposed to be a family cruise, I would make the choice again in a second as a mom and as a physician.