Alberobello, Sassi di Matera or Polignano

bananapops21

In your opinion what would be the better bet during a 6 hour stay in Bari:

Alberobello and Polignano Beaches

The Sassi di Matera and Polignano Beaches

Am I stretching it trying to do 2 things?

Are there Trulli huts located close to The Sassi di Matera or Polignano Beaches instead of taking the drive out to Alberobello? I've read that they are located in other places besides Alberobello. Does anyone know where these other places may be?

For me I would choose Matera above anywhere else.

We did a shorex from Bari in Oct 2015 and it is a very special and totally unique place to visit.

I do not think there is anywhere in the world quite like it and because of this it is often used for film sets. These include The Passion of the Christ directed by Mel Gibson and the 2015/16 remake of Ben Hur. The is much about it on the internet in general (including the many films where some scenes were shot) and on Tripadvisor you will find many photos and positive comments from those who went there.

6 hours is not very long to spend in Bari given it takes time to get there and back but you should still have around 2-3 hours on site. Our shorex only covered a relatively small section which included a couple of the churches (no indoor photos), some of the highlights and some great views looking down into the site, but to visit the entire site a couple of days would be needed.

There would definitely be no time for a beach if you choose Matera, but a beach is a beach. Matera is unique.

There are trulli at other towns such as Martina Franca but they are relatively close to Alberobello. What a hard decision to make. We had four nights in Polignano followed by two nights in Matera. We spent a day at and near Alberobello and enjoyed it very much. But I have to agree with the previous poster that Matera is amazing and the only place I can think of that is in any way similar is Cappadoccia in Turkey.

I wouldn't worry about the beaches myself, but then we live right by one of Sydney's beaches.

I think you need to look at a lot of pictures of the area and see what most appeals to you. .

We spent a land holiday in Alberobello in a trullo a few years ago. We went to Matera one of the days and it is well worth visiting. Many of the caves were still inhabited up until the 60s, but had no running water. They were condemned and called 'the shame of Italy'.

These days some of the caves have been turned into boutique style hotels.

I would hire a car and visit Matera and Alberobello if time permits. You will see the trulli all over the countryside.

The beaches in this area are nothing special and you can go to a beach any time.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes, this is my problem. I had in mind to see the trulli houses in Alberobello, but then upon looking at different excursions discovered Matera. It looks like such an interesting and unique village with so much history! Maybe we'll just rent a car in hopes of seeing some trulli houses on the way from Bari to Matera.