To-do checklist for right after boarding

My family and I are taking our first-ever cruise next Saturday (12/10) on Serenade, and I am so excited it's ridiculous. I'm having dreams every night. (Last night, it was that they changed our room--but for the better).

Being a first-timer, I want to make sure that things go smoothly from the get-go. So I've come up with a few things that I want to take care of immediately after boarding. We are travelling with two toddler twins (they'll turn two in Barbados on 12/15). So here's the list of things I should do right away. If you can think of other things that I should be doing right after boarding (aside from relaxing, of course), let me know.

And let me know if I have the wrong person to talk to about any of this. Thanks. CC boards have been invaluable.

1) Talk to the conceirge (we're in a GS so I guess we have access to the concierge) about arranging in-room babysitters while my wife and I are at the late-seating for dinner.

2) Talk to the Pier Director about a possible upgrade (if we decide we want to).

3) Talk to the concierge about reservations for Chops/Portofino, spa times, thermal spa availability and excursion reservations.

4) Talk to somebody about trying to weasel our way into dining with the captain one night.

5) Talk to the concierge about show tickets.

Are there other things we should do right away that are time-sensitive in that the earlier you arrange them, the better luck you will have getting what you hope to get (i.e., tickets, reservations, etc.)??

Thanks for your help.

When you get to your stateroom, double check that you have two toddler-sized lifejackets. Play around with them w/the kids so that at muster time you are not trying to throw huge orange things around two screaming wiggles. Also, take a couple of small, handsized toys or treats up to muster w/you and bring them out when the kids start ot get hot and restless. And, no, you don't have to stand totally upright the whole time with kids--my husband had a great time at knee level with our little one and the surrounding passengers were grateful that a toddler wasn't screeching.

Just FYI cruising w/toddlers--remember they don't know where they are and this is a big, new experience for them. Give them time to adjust to a few places before hauling them all over the ship. It isn't as exciting for them as for Mom and Dad--but they'll love it by the second or third day!

Archived