beverage questions Magica

kwdc

I have been trying to information on the Costa site, but it is not very detailed. I have a few questions about beverages on the MAGICA:

Are juice and water available at every meal? We would like our kids to be able to have something to drink on a regular basis without having to pay extra.

Is it possible to purchase wine at port or prior to the cruise and have them bring it to us at dinner for a cork charge? If so, how much is the cork charge?

In Costa's beverage special packages, "mineral water" bottles are included. None of us like mineral water, but we like regular bottled water. Do they offer a choice?

Where else should I be looking for these answers? I am not really getting all I need from the costa site.

Thanks!

Hey kwdc:

Costa is offering a couple of options when it comes to drinks, wine and bevarages in general.

Wine:

Costa has several wine packages available, which you are able to book prior to your cruise online at their web site. You can book wine packages, welcome packages, honeymoon items, etc., once you register and log in to your account. It will even show you your cabin assignment, if already done.

The wines in the package deal come with mineral water as well, but the wines itself are preselected. When ordering in the dining room, you can choose a la carte and see if you have a favorite.

If you should not finish your bottle during one sitting, you have the option of either taking your bottle back to your cabin (and maybe enjoy it a little later) or your waiter will store your wine until the next evening. There is no charge for storing the wine... The nice thing is, that usually your wine is already waiting for you at the table, when you arrive the next evening.

ALCOHOL FREE BEVERAGES:

One option is to purchase a beverage card, which is good for any non-alcoholic drinks (sodas, virgin drinks, juices, etc.). You can purchase those cards either ahead of time (online as well) or on board at the bar. It is a little cheaper though, if you purchase it ahead of time.

Water, Ice Tea, coffee, tea and at least one juice is always available on deck 9 at the buffet area free of charge. The waiter will also always serve you water at the sit down restaurant, although its not bottled water. I had no hesitations, and the water was clean and tasted good.

For your personal use (in cabin) you can also bring bottled water, if you prefer. Usually you have a little mini fridge, which is also the mini bar, but has room to store a few personal bottles.

I hope I could help a litte... if you have any other questions, please feel free to ask here or e-mail me at PPPOWER96@aol.com

Have fun and Happy Cruising...

Andy

Great info - thanks so much for your help.

We have decided to get the wine package, but do you know if the "mineral" water is the charged kind? Or can you just get plain bottled water? I guess we could just ask when we get on the ship, but none of us likes the charged kind.

What does it cost to get a non-alcohol drink package? And you can get a virgin mary or other drinks without alcohol.I know on RCI it was $30 or so, they gave you a card and a drink cup, you could fill the cup or use the card to get one in a regular cup.What's up with Costa and the website, I use my booking number and they tell me they're appending my record and to come back later. Of course this has been the same message I got since I booked in August??????????????

All I know is that they have the mineral water (the one with the bubbles - or "the charged one")... Don't think they carry regular bottle water on board.

dogger:

You may want to call Costa then... it seems they must be some kind of problem. I just checked my status today and everything works well. Make sure to use your 7-digit COSTA booking number, not the booking number from your travel agency.

Andy

Just an FYI, I wasn't able to do anything with their site until about 24 - 48 hours after filling out the embarkation form.

Try that and see if you can access your order.

Okay, will wait it out and see, I just filled the embarkment form out without the passport info, can I go back in and fill that out once I get our passports?

We're traveling with my DD and a DC(dear cousin), what do we need to bring with us when traveling with a child that isn't yours.

And why did I suggest taking another kid with us on the cruise, I think I might be nuts:eek:

I think the price is $ 49.20 for 20 drinks ( soda, non-alcholic drinks and bottles water), i am disappointed that they do not have an unlimited soda card like all the other cruise companies.

BOYS & GIRLS CARD

20 alcohol free drinks form the following selection: Soft drinks, Virgin Delights, Fresh squeezed citrus fruits, Iced Tea, Milk shakes, Assorted Sirups. $49.10

I think the price is $ 49.20 for 20 drinks ( soda, non-alcholic drinks and bottles water)

So that comes out to $2.46 per drink. How does that compare to pay-as-you-go prices on board? Is this a great deal, or only a good deal?

RCCI let you walk on with some as long as it was on the carry-on, never said a word with wine, booze or water. Their policy said NO, I'm sure Costa's says no also

I can't see them making a fuss, but I'll leave it to an expert on Costa.

I guess it all depends on how much you want to take, keep it minimal and not have too much booze and I think they'd leave you be.

It is too bad that it isn't a unlimited soda card, at $2.50 a hit, that'll be tough!

Okay, will wait it out and see, I just filled the embarkment form out without the passport info, can I go back in and fill that out once I get our passports?

We're traveling with my DD and a DC(dear cousin), what do we need to bring with us when traveling with a child that isn't yours.

And why did I suggest taking another kid with us on the cruise, I think I might be nuts:eek:

Well, my situation will hopefully help you. But you should call to verify... I am not married to my children's father. Me and my new hubby are bringing my 2 girls, and our baby. For my 2 girls, that are not his, we have to get a Certified Letter stating that (notarized may be the right word) stating that I am allowed to take them out of the country. (With his signature) I am going to be as specific as possible. I will also have their birth certs with me. Oh and as far as the form, we dont' have passports, so I left that info blank.

I am going to get a few made, just in case they actually take them, you may need it for the plane as well, fyi.

It is too bad that it isn't a unlimited soda card, at $2.50 a hit, that'll be tough!

At $2.50 a hit I think I will bring a plastic beach pail and tie a rope to it, throw it overboard and get my own water.. then again seawater would cause me to hallucinate so maybe that is a bad idea. Although if Costa is as bad as I have been reading, that may be an entertaining option.

At $2.50 a hit I think I will bring a plastic beach pail and tie a rope to it, throw it overboard and get my own water.. then again seawater would cause me to hallucinate so maybe that is a bad idea. Although if Costa is as bad as I have been reading, that may be an entertaining option.

It sounds like the seawater might taste better than the food, once you start hallucinating, it'll be better than the entertainment and the service won't seem so bad. Plus all the TV in every language other than english will make sense to you.:eek:

Please check all positive Costa reviews and reply back if they drank water right out of the sea.

Could be on to something

You'll see for yourself... Costa is not bad at all. So no reason for drinking sea water.. ;-)

Maybe some of those posters of horrible reviews went swimming a little bit too long at one of the beaches or snuffed some sea weed... LOL ;-)

I think you'll have nothing to fear... just something to really look forward to!

Andy ;-)

For those wondering about the bottled water in the packages-you have your choice of mineral water with gas (bubbles) or without gas (bubbles).

As on all ships there is bottled water for sale for consumption on the ship or to bring off ship with you.

The water from the tap is great to drink if you wish.

The waiters will also bring you regular (tap) water at dinner.(free)

There is water available in the buffet.(free)

This ended up being such a great post!! I learned a lot more than I was able to offer, I am afraid, but I am totally excited about the trip and have a more realistic understanding now as well. Thank you to all!!

kwdc:

That's why we get together here - to help each other out with questions, concerns and feedbacks.

The most important thing is that you'll have a wonderful, relaxing and fun-filled cruise.

Have a safe and exciting cruise!

(And don't forget to share your review with us afterwards... we are looking forward to your report)

Andy ;-)

• 5 weeks later...

If you purchase liquor at the ships store or at one of the ports does Costa (Magica) take the bottles until the end of the trip?

Also, do you have to reserve your deck chairs, or is it a daily 1st come 1st serve basis? I am hearing different tales that it is yours for the week as soon as it is claimed and others state it is a daily basis.

Is deck nine the deck with the pizza buffett? I was thinking I should have a clue as to where this is as I have children in tow.

Thanks for the help!

Maureen

I just got off of the Costa Magica which was a magical experience with a european flair. Like all cruise ships there is always iced / hot tea, water, coffee & juices available 24/7. There is no corking charge at dinner if you bring your own wine, unlike other cruise lines which charge you. We were also allowed to bring on board the liquor we purchased at other ports. I'm sure at certain times this is not always allowed But, we had no problem since I only purchased 2 bottles . There is always food available on deck 9 at the Grill ( pizza, hero sandwiches, grilled chicken burgers, Hamburgers, hot dogs, grilled chicken fries, salad..etc etc.. and always fresh and sliced fruit.

Archived