Late and Early Seating - QM2 Style

aanselm

Hi guys. I have 2 questions.

1. What time are the seatings? 6 and 8, or 6:30 and 8:30? (I have seen both times advertised.

2. Which seating tends to be more popular on QM2? I am asking because we are not sure about which we want, and until we decide, I would like to tentatively reserve the more popular (translation- most likely to be overbooked) option. Not sure if this is a factor, but its a S. America/mexico itinerary.

Thanks for your responses.

Hi,

As far as I know, the first sitting is 18:00 and the latest time you can order is 18:30 and the second sitting is 20:00 and the lastest time you can order is 20:30.

This may explain why you seem to have two times for each sitting.

starbug

I pulled out my old QM2 Daily Programmes. We sailed to the Caribbean in 2004 and again in 2005. According to the schedule in both programmes, early seating was at 6 PM and late seating was at 8:30 PM. Perhaps it is different on crossings. We had late seating both times and really liked it. I think late seating is more relaxed because the wait staff is not trying to get ready for another seating. Late seating also allows you to enjoy afternoon tea from 3:30 To 4:30 PM. If you go to tea, you will not really be hungry at 6 PM. You asked which seating is more popular. I believe early seating is more popular, so it might be easier to switch from early seating to late seating. Enjoy the QM2. She is a beautiful ship and the new South American voyage should be very interesting.

Thanks guys. I am a late seating person, and that does not change. However, I'm traveling with Mom and other 'early seating' family members, and so this discussion is taking a while. In the meanwhile, we have early seating, even though I asked the travel agent to change it. Before I call her back to ask her to change it again, I guess I was wondering whether I should just leave it at early until my group makes a decision, as it would be more difficult to change it from late to early.

On another note, maybe I should ask for your opinions on this. You will probably think that this is more of a "Dear Abby" question than a Cruise Critic one. (:-)

I am a late dinning person whether on sea or land. I cannot really deal with rushing back form a shore excursion at 5pm, being at dinner at 6, and missing out on the sailaway, not to mention some hot tub time. I am really really trying to be flexible, but this is not a compromise I feel I can make while remaining true to who I am. My family is lovely, flexible, and have a all agreed to do the late seating with me. However, I believe that this is too personal a choice for them to make on the basis of flexibility and team-spirit. Moreover, I think that one aunt in particular would possibly be miserable with the late seating. So, I am trying to convince them (and myself) to do the early seating while I do the late seating on my own. They think that that would defeat the purpose of all of us traveling from different states and countries to celebrate my Mom's birthday together, and prefer to sacrifice their preferences in order for us to all dine together. I am touched by their gesture, but I think they are making a mistake.

Any ideas on how I can solve this? Also, to anyone who may have sailed solo on Cunard, what is the dinning experience like for a party of 1 (if I chose to do late dinningon my own)?

Thanks for your responses.

I am a late dinner person. My retired Dad is a early dinner person. He would have a conniption eating late (plus issues with insulin timing) I would not be able to eat! And I am afraid I might come to formal night in a slip and wet hair , no make-up or shoes.<G>

On our combined cruise, we decided to go our separate ways for dinner, have a few lunches together (open seating) and everyone was happy! On her birthday, you go to one of the alternatative dining places! (I would let Cunard know ahead of time if you can, that this is a special celebration and see if they can arrange to have you all there together. It wouldn't hurt to let the maitre d' know also.) Additionally, you might be able, if their table is not fulll, on some evenings, slip in for companionship midway through the meal, but not eat til your seating.

If you have ten people going, maybe you split into two groups! After all, there's twenty other hours in the day to enjoy each other!

I love my Dad, but I had no intention of being miserable (and poor company) not enough time to properly dress, rushing back from shore, no hot tub as you said. I would hate it!

I would be miserable company.

By the way, sometimes circumstances cause seating times to be changed for an evening. Such as late shore excursion times, or a private function.

Im game theory there is a well known problem about a couple with different preferences like going to a baseball match or the opera. There is dilemma if both prefer to do something together, whatever it is, over going seperately to their respective favourite event.

In your case it is simple: You prefer dining late over dining together, your family prefers dining with you over dining at their favourite time.

There is no dilemma: You should happily accept their offer because this will be more satisfying for all of you. (Unless you prefer dining seperately.)

If you feel bad about it, you can arrange earlier alternative dining for some nights.

I did a crossing solo and asked to be seated at a table for 6. I was seated with a family of 4 and another single lady. It worked out very well for me. Breakfast and dinner are open seating so you could definitely all eat together then and you could try the alternative dinner choices on the evenings when you wish to dine together.

aanselm,

Do the late seating alone and plan a night or two at one of the other restuarants together, at a time in between. early and late seating. I'm sure you will find plenty of time to spent together at other times on board such as tea, or cocktails. Maybe you can meet them for a drink before they go to dinner--then you hope into the hottub and watch the sunset????

Thanks guys for all of your responses. Much appreciated.

Looks like I will be the only one of the group wanting to do the late seating.

I sometimes cruise alone and do not anticipate this to be an issue per se. However, I have never done Cunard,and I guess I am thinking that it might just be a bit different.

I like the suggestion of alternate restaurants sometimes and I especially like travel-to-go's suggestion about visiting their 'early' table a few times when we have sea days. Has anyone ever done that on Cunard before? I know I have done a bit of 'visiting' on a few other lines, but I wonder if that option exists on Cunard. Anyone??

Carlmm. ... Ideally, I would prefer to dine with my family. We all live in different states/countries and so we are looking forward to this time together. However, I know myself, my personality and what makes me happy, and I feel going our separate ways for dinner while less than ideal would work out better for me than going to dinner at 6, while allowing them to be true to the schecule that makes them happy as well. Besides, as some of you have pointed out, we'll do shore excursions, lunch etc together. Being the night owl I am, I do room service for breakfast 99% of the time :)

I am doing to guest registration forms today, and so, I will let you guys know of our decision soon.

Happy sailing,

AA

OK. Things have been 'resolved'. Everyone else in my group will be dinning early. I will be dinning late, on my own.

I really hope I end up at a table with some nice fun people.

Thanks all of you for your input. I carefully considered all of your advice.

Happy Sailings always.

AA.

OK. Things have been 'resolved'. Everyone else in my group will be dinning early. I will be dinning late, on my own.

Thanks all of you for your input. I carefully considered all of your advice.

Happy Sailings always.

AA.

AA, I think you will be glad you did this. You might have spent the entire trip miserable and resentful that everyone else got what was pleasing to them while you had to sacrifice. I know I might have wallowed in self-pity. I simply cannot eat that early! I'd find myself noshing again later (if I could even eat at all earlier)

One of my favorite things about cruising is meeting new people at the dinner table. Sure, you might meet folks around the pool or at trivia. But at dinner you have an hour and a half to sit around and share stories, get to know one another and others' careers, cultures and life experiences. It is one of my favorite parts of cruising! I suspect you will find fascinating people to exchange stories with at dinner!

Enjoy!

<<<

>>>

I travel alone, and as a rather shy person, I arrange for a table for 8, to make myself socialize. It's a bit intimidating at first, but always turns out to be great fun.

Molly,

My sentimenets exactly! We deliberately request a larger table for the express purpose of meeting other fun and exciting people. And if 1 person or couple at your table is not who you might ordinarily choose to associate with, there are four or six others to converse with also!

aanselm,

Good for you, now just keep an open mind when you get to your table. A few years ago I sailed with my 11 year old daughter and left hubby and son home. First night we arrived at our table for 6 to find an elegant elderly couple (who took one look at us and scowled) and a middle aged couple who took one look at us and smiled. Well, the elderly couple didn't even talk to us and complained all night to the staff about everything while we just tried to be personable and enjoy ourselves. Bottom line, the next night there was no elegant elderly couple (they had found a table for 2) and the wife of the middle aged couple who sells clothes on ebay so connected with my fashion addicted daughter that they still communicate by e-mail about what to buy, sell and wear. We all had a great time, so keep an open mind and enjoy!

Thanks. You guys inspire me.

I am looking forward to the adventure.

The whole dinning experience is always a positive experience for me, and one that I look forward to when I cruise. This time should be no different.

:)

Counting down the days!!!!

AA

We are waitlisted for late seating on the Yuletide Cruise, My wife son and I prefer to dine later, When we booked, we were waitlisted at 175+ we have made it to 71, I have been advised by cunard, that when we board the ship, we should speak to the purser or head waiter... Any ideas

Adam

Adam,

Absolutely get to the dining room as soon as you get on board; l think there is a good deal of movement between seatings that first day. I left a post for you somewhere on the boards suggesting you arrange the golf simulator for your son (I thought you had an interest in that) early on also because I read somewhere here that it fills up the first day.

I am now starting to organize and pack (kind of).

Adam:

I have gotten the seating I have wanted in the past, even though I had been higher than 71 on the waiting list. Also, this past summer in Scandinavia, we were able to get the seating we wanted, (but not until the second night), even after being told that it was impossible. We just spoke with the Maitre D early on the first night, and he worked it out.

So, like travelgals said, speak to the Maitre D real early and you should be fine.

Good luck, and enjoy your cruise.

AA

Archived