Trek to Otway Bay at Punta Arenas

bb2810

My wife and I shall be aboard the Regal Princess January 29th cruise from Valparaiso to Buenos Aires. We are eager to see penguins (easily). We understand the walk from the parking area to the penguin colony at Otway Bay near Punta Arenas is about a mile each way.

Just how difficult a mile is this? I ask in terms of grade, wind, etc..

Comment on Penquin trips in Port Stanley and Puerto Madryn would be welcome as well. Bluff Cove sounds like just the thing, but there is, we understand, uncertainty about landing in the Falklands. Other posters speak well of private tours picked up on the pier in Puerto Madryn and we wonder just how available these are.

Anyway, Punta Arenas sounds like a good opener if the trek is not overly difficult for a couple of 70 year olds in moderately decent shape but not comfortable with steep climbs or sharp, cold winds.

And, obviously, we'd love to hear from anyone who will be aboard the Regal Princess 1/29/06 with us.

Bruce O'Dea

Bradenton, FL

BB2810@aol.com

We are on the Feb 11 sailing and have the same quwstions - I have found sites for several tour operators in Falkland Islands but am having a hard time getting any responses - they tell me that the Bluff and Sparrow cove tours are only available through the cruise ships - I have found some info on Gypsy Cove and have e mailed some operators for inquiries.

Ron

We understand the walk from the parking area to the penguin colony at Otway Bay near Punta Arenas is about a mile each way.

Just how difficult a mile is this? I ask in terms of grade, wind, etc..

Comment on Penquin trips in Port Stanley and Puerto Madryn would be welcome as well.

Anyway, Punta Arenas sounds like a good opener if the trek is not overly difficult for a couple of 70 year olds in moderately decent shape but not comfortable with steep climbs or sharp, cold winds.Bruce

We did Otway Bay and Sparrow Cove (Port Stanley) last January. The walk at Otway Bay is quite easy - we are mid 50's - it is on mostly flat land - you walk on a raised wooden trail - you are roped off from the penquin colony so that no one steps on their nests/burrows - you get to see them walk back and forth from the ocean - they will come right up to the rope and pose for pictures. Of course the weather is unpredictable - the day we were there it was a bit windy and cool - not too bad.

At Sparrow Cove you take a tender from the ship to a drop off spot - then you take off road 4 wheelers to the penguin colony - this is a bit more intimate site - you can walk right in the midst of the penguins - great smell:D:D - they have a few king penguins here also - it was a weird day when we were there - wind/cold/sun/warm/sleet/ - It just kept changing on us - but, again not real bad so long as you are dressed warmly and have gloves.

How do you get to Otway Bay - is this in Punta Arenas? Also who did you tour the Sparrow cove with? Private or ship sponsored?

Ron

Otway Bay is in Punta Arenas. Both Otway Bay and Sparrow Cove were ship's tours. You can book a private/small group tour to Otway Bay - you can only do Sparrow Cove on a ship's tour.

We did Otway Bay and Sparrow Cove (Port Stanley) last January. The walk at Otway Bay is quite easy - we are mid 50's - it is on mostly flat land - you walk on a raised wooden trail - you are roped off from the penquin colony so that no one steps on their nests/burrows - you get to see them walk back and forth from the ocean - they will come right up to the rope and pose for pictures. Of course the weather is unpredictable - the day we were there it was a bit windy and cool - not too bad.

At Sparrow Cove you take a tender from the ship to a drop off spot - then you take off road 4 wheelers to the penguin colony - this is a bit more intimate site - you can walk right in the midst of the penguins - great smell:D:D - they have a few king penguins here also - it was a weird day when we were there - wind/cold/sun/warm/sleet/ - It just kept changing on us - but, again not real bad so long as you are dressed warmly and have gloves.

Where is Otway Bay? Do you have a concern about taking private tours the the more remote locations ie. missing the ship?

Sailing on the Millenium Dec. 24 FLL-Valpariso and then Valpariso to B.A on Jan. 8. I have been reading several recommendations for private tours. Do you have a concern with taking private tours to the more remote locations fearing not getting back to the ship on time?

Do you have a concern with taking private tours to the more remote locations fearing not getting back to the ship on time?

No concern what so ever - The private tour operators are very dependable and familiar with your ships's schedule. We always try to do private or small group excursions when available - most often a much better tour at about 1/2 the price of the ship's tours.

Believe it or not - Punta Arenas is not so remote - it is a good size city - very nice - great lamb.

Archived