Cruise Critic Community
deladane

Detailed Photo Review of Paul Gauguin 10-Night Cruise 9/6/17 Plus Moorea Pre-Cruise

Just found your PG report of your trip in 2017 and I am enjoying it so much! I love your underwater shots. I have a good Lumix point and shoot high-end camera for my trips. It has 30X zoom and 18 pixels, which works really well, no extra lens to carry around for distance. But I am always worried about taking it to the beach and especially near any water. My last one that I had a long time got a tiny grain of sand in the lens and the cover wouldn't close. Luckily I had bought the extended warranty and didn't have to pay much to have it fixed. Now I have a newer model of that Lumix DMC-ZS60. I would love to get an underwater camera like yours. Your photos are all so sharp and bright! My whole family of 6 are going to be on the PG and staying in Moorea afterwards next July.

Dana

Thank you for your detailed report.  I did the same 10 day cruise 19-29 Sep 2018.  I even had the same cabin 318.  The tip for the snorkeling spot right at the pier in Rangiroa was spot on.  I also did the Blue Lagoon tour with Ato (actually his son) on Fakarava.  Great trip.  Thanks again for the tips.

really enjoyed your reviews. We've done the long 14 day PG cruises - to Fiji and the other one ended in New Zealand. Best snorkeling ever in Vavau, Tonga and Cook Is are wonderful too.!! We are going in Feb 2019 on Oceania to see Fakarava and Nuku Hiva. - a much larger ship but it is the itinerary we want and the dates fit for our 50th anniversary.

My daughter lived on Branham & Pearl and then moved across the street from Leigh HS in Los Gatos. We are up there all the time so I know the area well.

Just wanted to add my thanks for a fantastic review! So many things I hadn't heard in other areas and really made us both excited for our cruise this November. Our first ever cruise too, so we are binging on PG and what to do, etc.

Again, thanks so much for the awesome review!  I am going on the 11 night Society and Cook Islands PG cruise, and your detailed review was immensely helpful.

One note to a previous poster wondering about booking direct or through a TA - a good TA would be doing this for you, without having to ask.  I am a TA, and I do this all the time for my clients.

Dana; this review has bumped up again and it is so great, I am looking at a longer PG after doing the 7 night in 2016 - I agree with you completely that the Deck 3 cabins are great! We enjoyed ours exactly as you did.  You are lucky to be able to take so much consecutive vacation time working in healthcare. I find it hard to take more than 2 weeks at a time. Good for you!!

LOVE, LOVE< LOVE your blog! If you don't mind, please tell me what kind of camera you used. I saw you had a Go Pro. Is this the one you used  for those fab underwater shots? We are going on the PG on this same cruise itinerary in August. Thanks!

Thanks everyone for all of your kind words!

kkbay- most of my photos were taken with an Olympus Tough TG-5 camera. It works underwater and I also used a fisheye attachment for wide angle shots and over/under water photos.  Hope you have a great cruise! FP really is a special place 🤩

Dana, I can only add to the accolades about the amazing land and cruise review of your   trip to FP. When I discovered your review, I enjoyed reading every word, including the ship’s info about the islands and menus/activities. Your photos are absolutely fabulous. Thank you so much for all your time and effort - it is much appreciated!

I am now going to hop over and read the review of your next cruise in the Caribbean - keep them coming!