Fuel Spill - CUBA - Oil Refinery

csperry

Just came back from the NCL SKY and when we docked in Cuba the fuel floating in the water both looked and smelled bad. It ended up being from the petroleum facility across the way.

That also s the beach day at the private island since we now need to be diverted to Freeport in the Bahamas to clean the oil off the ship. People were not happy.

When we left we saw no activity in Cuba to contain the spill and clean it up.

I hope other ships continue to sail to Havana but without some effort on Cuba to own the issue and clean it up I doubt other cruise lines will want the legal pollution exposure.

I was on this cruise as well. Found it interesting that we were "ok" to travel 300nm to Freeport (passing GSC on the way) for a cleaning which we were "quarantined" offshore (yellow flag was flying). They said it would take 8 hours once cleaning started around 1pm, but magically we raised anchor and turned for Miami around 5:30pm. $37 credit for the port fee refund, but that was it. I didn't see any effort being made to contain the spill in Havana, shamefully. It was pretty bad.