Mazatlan - City Excursion & 'Pulmonias'

willbrook

Arriving in Mazatlan on February 6th (Mercury), we (2 couples) are planning a half-day city tour of Mazatlan. Would a 'Pulmonias' accommodate 4 adults, and be a good way to see the city? -- or should we be looking for something 'more structured'? Thanks for any/all advice.

Two of us took one back and forth from town to the Golden Zone. I they could take 4 ppl, but if I recall, it would mean one in the front and 3 in the back, I don't think there's room for 2 in the front plus the driver. They're a great way to see things, so open. They're the same price as a regular cab.

-Bob

Bob -

Thanks very much for the response regarding use of Pulmonias for touring the city. Our plans are to visit the 'Golden Zone', 'Cliff Divers', and 'Downtown' area. Pulmonias appear to be a unique way to see the city. Thanks again. Dick

Hey Dick,

There are tons of them at the ship, and the ride downtown cost $5/couple. We then walked from downtown to the ocean boardwalk, about a 15 minute walk, and then maybe another 10 along the boardwalk to the cliff divers, which is on the way to the Golden Zone. If you took a pulmonia from downtown to the ocean it would be cheap, maybe another $5, and from the cliff divers to the Golden Zone was $10/couple. Coming back from the Golden Zone it was only $10 with very little haggling to go all the way to the ship.

-Bob

This is correct, one sits upfront with the driver, and three in the back. We asked the rate for one hour and were given a mini tour of the city and had the driver drop us in the golden zone for our walking/shopping tour. Rate for the hour was about twenty bucks.

Trey

We stayed at Marina El Cid last year for a week. Took Pulmonias all over the place... one day we asked one for a tour and he took us around all over.... about 4-41/2 hrs of driving as well as an hour for lunch (restaurant was his suggestion- he waited while we ate) for $60.00 total. He was very knowledgable and four of us fit just fine - 1 in front and 3 of us in back (dh, db and sil)

Best tour we took all week was to Coppala in the Sierra Madres !!! Awesome tour. Left at 9:00 and returned at 3:00 ish. Went to brick factory, small village to tile maker and bakery (YUM) then to Concordia and on to Coppala ( a tiny village in the mountains near old silver and gold mines) very old church 1585?) and unbelievable lunch all included for $35.00 per person. Beautiful scenery and on a nice mercedes tour bus with colas and water provided at each stop.

Loved Mazatlan = hope to return in the near future.

Just a little comment about the Pulmonias.

These are small little vehicles that look like golf carts. They started putting them together in the 1960´s, originally brought in from the US and were Cushman and 3 wheels. In the 1970´s as the dollar went up so high, they could not import them in Mazatlan, so they started making their own version out of the old Volkswagen, that is when they changed to 4 wheel. As they were so much competition to the regular taxis, well they made their own version, which we call safaris. They were actually calling them at the beggining Penicilins, because they would say that they were the cure to Pneumonia (Pulmonia). They are actually the cars that in the US were called The Thing. The difference is that Pulmonias have no doors and the safaris do have doors.

Just a little comment, so you all know.

Mazatlan Frank

We stayed at Marina El Cid last year for a week. Took Pulmonias all over the place... one day we asked one for a tour and he took us around all over.... about 4-41/2 hrs of driving as well as an hour for lunch (restaurant was his suggestion- he waited while we ate) for $60.00 total. He was very knowledgable and four of us fit just fine - 1 in front and 3 of us in back (dh, db and sil)

Best tour we took all week was to Coppala in the Sierra Madres !!! Awesome tour. Left at 9:00 and returned at 3:00 ish. Went to brick factory, small village to tile maker and bakery (YUM) then to Concordia and on to Coppala ( a tiny village in the mountains near old silver and gold mines) very old church 1585?) and unbelievable lunch all included for $35.00 per person. Beautiful scenery and on a nice mercedes tour bus with colas and water provided at each stop.

This sounds like somethings we would enjoy. Is there a local tour that is reccommended or should I book from our cruise line. (Princess Dawn.)

Thanks Artistsj

I would like to take that tour. Is the ride up to the Sierra Madres bumpy? Three out of four of us have back problems. We will be in Puerta Vallarta, Cabo, Mazatlan, and Catalina. What tour would be good for those of us with back problems? Thanks, artistsj

Guess we will try the Pulmonias too. .I recall taking them years ago when my husband and I visited Mazatlan. We will be sure to look for Pulmonias for the 7 of us when we do the Mexican Riviera this March...

Should I bring US cash with me for these rides or Pesos?

Thanks to every one ... I am learning alot and am getting ideas for our shore excursions. I like the idea of takin the Pulmonias downtown.. then the Golden Zone , divers etc.. this way we can go wherever and whenever we want.. Any suggestions regarding local eateries in Mazatlan, PV and Cabo San lucas

(snip)Should I bring US cash with me for these rides or Pesos?)snip) Any suggestions regarding local eateries in Mazatlan, PV and Cabo San lucas

You don't need pesos anywhere, US cash is accepted everywhere. You don't get the bank rate of about 12 to 1, you get the tourist rate of 10-1, unless you are shopping in non-tourist areas like the back streets, stores there gave us 10-1. The main thing is to have lots of small bills, ones and fives. 20's are useless, no one can or wants to make change, especially cab drivers and waiters, and you wait forever while they hope you give up and tell them to keep the change. We took 50 ones and 25 fives and ran out quickly.

Restaurants ... In Maz on the Golden Zone we liked El Capitanos near the El Cid resort, got 2 entrees, nacho appetizers, and drinks for about $15, and they had local dancers. Good variety on the menu. We wanted a view of the ocean/beach which they have, ask for a view table. The other cool restaurant in Maz was beside the El Cid resort (free day use for cruisers), if you're facing the water, it's on the right. Called La Concha or something, beautiful view, stone veranda, inside tables too, lovely tables, great menu, not as cheap as Capitanos but very sweet.

-Bob

Thanks for the info on where to eat Bob.. have you tried taking any of the tours offered by Frank? I was perusing his website.

Hey a fellow Canuk! No we didn't do any of Frank's tours, but others report that he does a good job. It was our first time on the Riv and we had 2 goals in each port, to see the towns and to have some beach/pool time at a resort, which didn't leave time for tours, but there are some cool ones. If you like old architecture PV and Maz are for you, these aren't the new splash places like Cancun. Don't miss the awesome old cathedral in downtown Maz near the Market, you can spend half an hour looking at all the things inside, and a nice peaceful place to sit for a few minutes. Also the old cathedral on Zaragoza street in PV, off the far end of the boardwalk, near Hooters (no connection I don't think :-) I'm not religious, but I had to leave something in the reno donation box. And the Maz boardwalk is very old time Mexico. The Market is too touristy.

-Bob

Hi Bob.. fellow Canuk.... I read in another thread about the free beach/pool access for cruises in Maz, Pv and Cabo...

Like you, we are interested in both the architecture, bit of strolling around and beach.. as we are getting very tired of the non stop rain we have been having... so will love to go for the free beach/pool access in PV and Cabo.. and do some local touring in Maz.. Frank's tour actually includes both city tour and beach break with lunch. .so it may work out for us.

When were you last at Maz, PV and Cabo?

60 days to go.............:o

Hi Bob.. fellow Canuk.... I read in another thread about the free beach/pool access for cruises in Maz, Pv and Cabo...

Like you, we are interested in both the architecture, bit of strolling around and beach.. as we are getting very tired of the non stop rain we have been having... so will love to go for the free beach/pool access in PV and Cabo.. and do some local touring in Maz.. Frank's tour actually includes both city tour and beach break with lunch. .so it may work out for us.

When were you last at Maz, PV and Cabo?

60 days to go.............:o

Hey last week I was on Vancouver Island for a few day, yup it rained all the time there too. But just a drizzle that didn't get ya wet, if you moved fast you didn't need an umbrella, but I'll bet yer ready for some sun and a beach.

The suggested walking route to see stuff in Maz is to take a cab to the Central Market, and when done there walk up Benito Juarez to the cathedral, and then the park, and then turn right onto Constitucion to head down to the boardwalk. Some of the streets reminded us of the French Quarter in New Orleans. Did you see our photos on the net?

When we were there, was last March.

-Bob

I am astonished at the prices mentioned in the quotes I am seeing. Mazatlan was a bargain paradise when we were last down there abt 6 years ago. Lovely diners $3.50-5.00 Took pulmonias everywhere. I think they are very dangerous, but tried not to think about it. Leather bags a bargain.

Took pulmonias everywhere. I think they are very dangerous, but tried not to think about it. Leather bags a bargain.

I had one friend fall out as the pulmonia was turning a corner very fast. He hurt his shoulder...but I also think he had had too many beers to drink. Other than that, I've heard of no problems, so don't worry that you don't have seat belts. Sit back, relax and ask the driver to put in some typical music from Sinaloa (the state Mazatlan is in) like Banda Sinaloense and crank up the volume. If you don't request Mexican music, you'll probably end up with "Hotel California" which is a favorite here in Mexico.

Enjoy,

John

are the pulmonia's everywhere? I want to catch one at the terminal and go to the golden zone in the afternoon then take one back to the terminal to get back on the ship.

Or should we catch one and get them to wait while we shop?

Yup they are everywhere, like yellow cabs in Manhattan. I like John's suggestion to get the music cranked up. As you get near the Golden Zone ask the cabbie to stop and take a pic of you with Fiesta Land behind, a very cool shopping, disco etc complex, white spires, wild design.

Archived