Skagway, Juneau & Ketchikan accessibility

Londongirl8

We are cruising next year with port stops at Skagway, Juneau and Ketchikan. My mobility is poor and I do use a mobility scooter, how far is it from where the ships dock into the town and how accessible is it for scooters. Just trying to work out if I need to book some sort of tour around the towns, if I would need to use a taxi to look around or if it's possible to manage with my scooter from the ship.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It really depends on which ship and which dock they are using.

• Skagway has three docks. If you look at Google Maps, the furthest dock is a half mile or a 12 minute walk.
  • Ketchikan's furthest dock is also about a half mile. The closest dock has you just feet from all the activities.
  • Juneau will be the most interesting. Most docks are clustered less than a half mile from town.
    • However, the AJ dock is over a mile away.... I hear there's a shuttle bus.
    • If all the docks are busy.... your ship may be "tendered". Not all ships have the ability to tender cruisers in wheelchairs and scooters (this happened to us).

Thanks for all the info. We are on the Nieuw Amsterdam, my mobility scooter does fold up and wheel so am hoping I can manage a tender if I have to. I can walk a bit it's just any distance I can't do at all. Half a mile would be impossible and then walking to look around as well so am hoping to be able to use my scooter. What sort of size are the towns to look around are they say a 15 minute look around or are they much bigger. Just wondering if a town maybe bus tour to look around would be needed.

We have booked some Excursions which don't involve walking to much, we have booked small boat Tracey Arm trip one way off the ship and are trying to decide which train trip in Skagway to do. We do have Glacier Bay as well so there is a lot I can still do.

I really must see if I can master google maps as I believe you can look around places on that. This is only our second ever cruise so we are still very new to this.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Skagway has about 1k Ketchikan about 14K and Juneau about 31K inhabitants.the downtown areas are fairly small about 20mins or so from end to end.

suggest you look at www.cruiseportwiki.com and www.whatsinport.com which give you details of the ports and maps,it seems the berthing details for 2018 haven't been finalised, but this year the NA berthed at the Cruise terminal in Juneau, City Float 3 in Ketchikan, and Broadway dock in Skagway