Attire in the QM2 Queen's Grill

Prince

I had heard that the first and last evenings of a crossing were informal and that men wore black tie for all the other nights--but now I read that there are casual, informal and formal nights on-board the QM2. Can anyone tell me what to expect? Thank you.

Prince

There will be formal (black tie or dark business suit),informal--(blazer or suit with tie) and casual (shirt with collar, no tie required) evenings. There is a little leeway so with in reason be comfortable ( I mean if you can't stand a tuxedo wear a dark business suit and if you hate suits a blazer,well pressed shirt and tie will do for informal nights;but if you just bring those basics, you will be fine. We've never had a problem with how many of each, at most we've had to launder a shirt if the formal vs informal count was off. The only difference I noticed was that most Queens Grill guests wore a shirt and tie on every night that is was not formal (even if it is casual). You don't have to. but most do.

Travelgals:

Thanks for the information. My preference is dressy-- rather than casual--so I will plan on at least at least a jacket and tie each night--and will bring along a few suits and a tuxedo. I appreciate your reply.

Prince

Crossing or a cruise???

Rumor has it a cruise is a bit more relaxed ....

A Crossing in the Queens Grill is far more formal and dressy.

As I recall on a Crossing there are three formal nights ...the second and third nights (corresponding to the QG/PG Captains party the first night and then the Brittania Captains part the second night). I recall a third formal night tho forget the night (fifth? I think they skipped a night) which also corresponds to the invitation only Senior Officers reception.

As I recall (Aug and memory is bad!) first night wore a suit and tie. Second/third nights wore formal black tux. Fourth night wore white dinner jacket (many more people did the same in QG) and Fifth night was formal. Last evening think it was back to suit and tie.

Breakfast and Lunch really have no 'dress code' in Queens grill tho I tended to wear nice 'business casual' shirts and long pants (maybe shorts at times). But it was definately NOT cutoffs and tank top!

BTW .. the MINUTE you board . .have your butler/steward take your tuxs and shirts to be pressed/laundered. By getting them in prior to sailing, they can go 'normal service' and not have to pay extra for 'same day' service. I was a bit worried sending everything to be cleaned (I brought along two brand new tux shirt unopened) but the Bulter guaranteed they would be back mid-afternoon the next day .. and they were back just after lunch!

Now a cruise .. I cannot tell you for certain but QG is noticeably more constantly formal and business 'formal'.

Dear JGR01

Thank you for that information. Indeed this is for a crossing--albiet a slightly different one--the last segment of the QM2's first World Cruise--from Southampton to Fort Lauderdale--7 nights rather than the normal 6 nights. Thanks for the tip to have the shirts pressed once on board. I'll have come from serveral days in London--so I will have need for cleaning right away.

Thanks again.

Prince

Archived