Pin Trading

DCLCrazy

Hi. We will be doing a B2B on the Wonder in January and I was curious about the pin trading on the boat. I’ve never done it with my daughter but I’m pretty sure there’s a designated event on the ship for pin trading. I’ve also heard that the CMs participate in it with the kids around the ship. If a child wants to trade pins with a CM, must the CM trade whatever pin the child wants to trade with? They seem pretty expensive and I saw a group of pins on sale for $15 for about 8 of them, which was a good deal. But they are used pins it seems, so I don’t know if the CMs would trade their nice pins for hers, if I were to get them for her. Any tips or advice about how this works would be great! Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As you noted, there are designated pin trading events (like "Pin trading with the officers," and in addition CMs at Guest Services and the gift shops will sometimes be wearing lanyards...if they have one on, they are available for trading. When the lines get long, the lanyards will be tucked into a drawer, so if they aren't busy, feel free to ask. They may have not thought about wearing one. During the pin trading events and sometimes in the shop, there is also a trading book available.

There is a list of rules for trading that you can see on line, but the short version is that the pin has to be a legit Disney pin (trademark on the back) in good condition. They can certainly be "used," but not broken. The CMs are supposed to wear 12 different pins--they MUST trade if a guest offers a trade for any pin that they are not already wearing. Trades are "one for one" unless a CM offers a bonus pin. They sometimes wear a pin so you can't see what it is and offer a "secret pin" trade--obviously up to you whether you do that or not. You can also trade with other guests, but the rules there are whatever you make them. It is designed to be fun for the kids and promote interaction with the CMs.

Do be aware that it can become expensive and those pins get heavy in suitcases!

As you noted' date=' there are designated pin trading events (like "Pin trading with the officers," and in addition CMs at Guest Services and the gift shops will sometimes be wearing lanyards...if they have one on, they are available for trading. When the lines get long, the lanyards will be tucked into a drawer, so if they aren't busy, feel free to ask. They may have not thought about wearing one. During the pin trading events and sometimes in the shop, there is also a trading book available.

There is a list of rules for trading that you can see on line, but the short version is that the pin has to be a legit Disney pin (trademark on the back) in good condition. They can certainly be "used," but not broken. The CMs are supposed to wear 12 different pins--they MUST trade if a guest offers a trade for any pin that they are not already wearing. Trades are "one for one" unless a CM offers a bonus pin. They sometimes wear a pin so you can't see what it is and offer a "secret pin" trade--obviously up to you whether you do that or not. You can also trade with other guests, but the rules there are whatever you make them. It is designed to be fun for the kids and promote interaction with the CMs.

Do be aware that it can become expensive and those pins get heavy in suitcases![/quote']

You’re not kidding when you say it could get expensive. Some of the pins are upwards of $25 for one pin! Yikes. Not sure if I want to open that can of worms.

People don't normally trade the $15 and up pins--those are more likely to end up in collections. Trading pins typically run about $6-8 and you can get a lanyard and set of 4-6 pins for $25-30. Pins do go on sale too--we got a bunch at the Disney Store for $2 each. That's a decent trading price. Disney knows how to max out prices with "limited editions" etc....but for trading, go as low as you can find them. Just be aware that on e-bay, etc. there are lots of counterfeits--and you must stay away from those! They can't be traded.

People don't normally trade the $15 and up pins--those are more likely to end up in collections. Trading pins typically run about $6-8 and you can get a lanyard and set of 4-6 pins for $25-30. Pins do go on sale too--we got a bunch at the Disney Store for $2 each. That's a decent trading price. Disney knows how to max out prices with "limited editions" etc....but for trading' date=' go as low as you can find them. Just be aware that on e-bay, etc. there are lots of counterfeits--and you must stay away from those! They can't be traded.[/quote']

I’m glad it said something bc I was looking at pins on eBay.

Also note some of the shops have books behind the counter to trade as well..

Disney provides its staff with pins from a certain set - when you get lucky is when you see one that someone traded already you want.

Also, honestly (not as much on the ships), watch for adults trying to take advantage of kids if the kid happens to get a rare one. I saw this at WDW - kid traded for a fairly rare pin that was on a kid only lanyard and immediately 2 adults who had been eying it came over and tried to trade crap (now, if the kid likes the pin and you don't care about value make the deal but pin trading is also a $$$ industry).

• 2 months later...

Cast members have to trade even if they aren’t sure a pin is real. eBay pins bought from a well rated seller will generally be legit, although they may be seconds. My mom has bought a couple hundred pins on eBay to trade or give to grandkids to trade, and no one has ever had an issue trading with cast members in the parks or at sea.

Cast members have to trade even if they aren’t sure a pin is real. eBay pins bought from a well rated seller will generally be legit, although they may be seconds. My mom has bought a couple hundred pins on eBay to trade or give to grandkids to trade, and no one has ever had an issue trading with cast members in the parks or at sea.

There is a handout on pin trading rules available in the parks; I've never seen it on the ships. It does say that to be traded with a CM, a pin must be an authentic Disney pin with the copyright notation on the back. I'm sure CMs will err on the side of the guest and trade if they aren't sure, but my daughter did have some small character pins questioned in the parks (they were legit from the Disney store). When I said that they came from the Disney store and showed them the back, there was no more question. They were smaller than most current pins, so I do understand why they questioned them.