1st time cruiser - Western Caribbean Cruise - Mediterranea

Raven77

1st time cruiser leaving Jan 8/06 till Jan 15/06 on the Western Caribbean Cruise with Costa - Mediterranea Ship. Anyone going on this cruise? Is there any tips that I should know about?

Thank you for any help you can provide....:)

A couple things to keep in mind:

1) You're on vacation, enjoy and roll with the flow

2) You're not at work, enjoy

3) Read as much as you can before hand, if possible, don't do the excursions through the cruise because they take a cut and there's more

people doing the excursion from the ship. If you read enough reviews, asking questions, etc you'll get a cheaper excursion, with less people and in the end, have more fun!

4) Once you read enough, make sure you have EVERYTHING "needed" for a cruise, most important, your tickets and travel docs.

5) Pack lightly, we brought a big suitcase back with clothes we didn't wear, it's a pain to lug toooo much stuff around the airports, etc

6) Pack a change or two of your cloths in a bag from a person you're traveling with, Or evenly pack the bags so in case a bag is lost, you'll still have some of your own clothes to wear and have washed.

7) Take a carry on with clothes or whatever you might need while you wait for your bags to arrive at your room, same for the kids. This includes Medication to glasses, contacts and a change of cloths or a swimsuit

8) Take Duct Tape, travel size, comes in handy from everything from stopping a door from opening, keeping a door open, mending a dress/pants(inside the garment) to taping up boxes on the way back or even busted luggage.

9) Tip your room service at the start of the trip with a $10-20. Say something so they understand that this is just a small tip to say thanks and you'll tip AGAIN at the end of the trip. Can't say it helped, but I thought it might.

10) Be nice to the staff, they spend 6 months to a year away from their families. We asked our cabin and wait staff, "Where are you from?" "What's it like there?" We had some really nice conversations with the staff. Again, I can't say it got us better service, but it sure felt good to give them some time. And our daughter bought our cabin stewart's daughter a gift, her idea after he told us how he hadn't seen her in 6 months.

11) Make sure you KNOW when the ship is leaving, it'll be in the cabin the night before in a document that tells you what is going on. When in doubt, ask around. I don't think you'll want to be left without much more than a shirt on your back and a camera and a ship ID and $50 bucks!

12) Don't tell a soul this one, at the back of the ship is a great place to layout, take a towel or two and enjoy you, the sun, NO WIND and a very few people. Big thing is NO WIND, On top of the ship, it gets windy!

I'm sure there's other hints and ideas, but make sure you go in with an open mind, enjoy your time off and when life serves you lemons and vodka, make Vodka Lemon-Aid!

Thank you so much Dogger for all of your advice, I really appreciate it. Good tips that I will keep in mind when getting ready to go on our trip! And definitely going to have fun no matter what...My husband and I are not that picky we just like to relax and have fun. We are pretty laid back so I am sure it will be a blast!!!

I have read lots of reviews and it seems people had either really bad times or reallly good times...oh well I say cause my husband and I always make the best of things.... and really what more could you ask for with sunshine 80 degrees or more sitting by a pool with a nice cold drink...compared to -20 to -30 degree weather with lots of snow....lol ...thanks again Dogger I will put up my review upon our return in January! Have a great Christmas.

1st time cruiser leaving Jan 8/06 till Jan 15/06 on the Western Caribbean Cruise with Costa - Mediterranea Ship. Anyone going on this cruise? Is there any tips that I should know about?

Thank you for any help you can provide....:)

read my review and posts.. but most important don't miss some of the crew activities, or even just to watch them is a hoot.. i've been on all lines and on 25 cruises.. this is by far the funniest most interactive cruise staff.. don't miss the toga nite pax talent show, its a hoot the way they do it on costa, different than other ships.. the ship is gorgeous...a visit to Paradise Beach is great in cozumel.. we usually rent a jeep in coz.. you can't get lost, only one road around the island.. if you do rent a jeep stop at coconuts , especially for the view.. if you go to PB look for Tom , the Host there, he is a Cruise Critic member..if you are stopping at Caymen take a snorkel tour to see the sting rays, but take one that makes two stops, one for the rays and one to snorkel.. Nativeway is a good one to book it thru.. the ships tours are really packed like sardines and I'm not sure they make a second stop.. if you don't want to do the sting rays but just a snorkel tour take the ships snorkel tour.. if you don't snorkel, at least take one of the semi submarine tours to see the reefs.. they are gorgeous...

• 4 weeks later...

Archived