group cruisng with a wheelchair

CarolynB

We have a family group of 15 sailing on the Sapphire, my question is. My mom will be using a wheelchair, just for mobility, on the ship. My sister that is in the cabin with her will not be able to push Mom to the cabin. Will a rep. be there to do it, or will the rest of us get to board when she does so we can stay together and help Mom?

I have asked this on the Princess and disabled boards too.

Now, I dont know about how Princess runs, but I was just on a RCI in May and was in a wheelchair due to the fact I had surgery right before cruise.

When we boarded, there were people ready to help from the moment I got out of my vehicle and they saw I was in a wheelchair. I had a man help me all the way onto the ship, so I dont see why there would be any issue getting that far. Now, my stateroom was not ready until 2 hours after I boarded, so I didnt have someone help me get into room, and had husband do that, BUT I bet if you asked for assistance from customer service, they would be MORE than willing to do this too.

I found that the workers on the ship were very accomodating to the handicapped on my RCI cruise. It was the passengers that were downright rude to me. The workers helped me on deck, at dinner, during shows, etc. etc.

Also, we did get to go into a different line to get to the check in for the ship, which saved us tons of time, however we got into the same long line as everyone else once there, and then boarded the ship in the same line as everyone else. I just had a worker assist us through the whole process.

Your mom will be fine. You may want to call ahead to Princess and ask what they do at pier for those that are handicapped and need assistance onto ship.

Archived