Airline reservation questions?

sherin65

I think I may have messed up a bit. We are going on LOS on 3/25 from Tampa. We live near Chicago. We generally like to fly Southwest but I've been checking all the airlines for tickets.

The problem is that many airlines have only been booking through 3/31 and we are returning 4/1. Should I have bought internet one way fares when they were available(they all seem to be unavailable or sold now) and just waited to book return flights? I kept waiting for 4/1 to open up but now I see many low fares for the trip to Tampa are gone and only very high fares remain. I wouldn't have even thought to book just one way and take my chances on the prices of return flights.

There are 18 of us going on the cruise. Would a travel agent be able to help us get a charter or group rate of some kind? I'm reluctant to pay over $250 RT per person for airfare.

Sher

The main problem with 4/1 is Southwest(We would prefer to fly with them as DH has one free flight coupon). They are only booking through 3/31. We also have HootersAir near us in Gary, IN but they don't show any flight at all on 4/1. The big airlines prices are way out of our reach, some as high as $700.

I agree with booking it now. Gas prices stopped going down so the airlines are not going to lower thier prices anytime soon. You are traveling to Florida during spring break so if anything the prices will go up. Did you check prices from OHare also? I know United and American have hubs there. ATA (Whats left of them) and Southwest have hubs at Midway. Another discount airline is Independence Air but you have to switch planes at Washington-Dulles.

Independence Air right now is $199 from Midway to Tampa r/t but you need to leave on Friday and come back on Sunday. The two hotel stays may still have you come out ahead.

But Independance Air may not be around come the end of March. They are in a very serious financial condition.

Independence Air right now is $199 from Midway to Tampa r/t but you need to leave on Friday and come back on Sunday. The two hotel stays may still have you come out ahead.

Bill has a good idea but another idea might be to fly into Orlando and rent a car to Tampa, it's about 60 - 90 minute drive. Orlando has more airline competition so the prices are usually low.

But Independance Air may not be around come the end of March. They are in a very serious financial condition.

I work 4 miles from Dulles airport where FlyI is based.. Rumor is an investment company is going to buy them. Should hear something in the news before the end of the year.

I work 4 miles from Dulles airport where FlyI is based.. Rumor is an investment company is going to buy them. Should hear something in the news before the end of the year.

There have been several articles in the business sections that said they're in such bad shape there's no way anyone is going to buy them.

Archived