Snorkeling in Cabo or PV

travel4u

Has anyone snorkeled recently in Cabo or PV? I'm curious what excusions are the best and which location is better for snorkeling. Also, what is the water temperature this time of year and is the visibility decent? I leave in two days on a Mexican Riviera cruise.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Azure Seas 1988
Constitution 1989
Ecstasy 1991
Royal Princess 1993
Viking Serenade 1994
Norway 1997
Disney Wonder 1999
Rhapsody of the Seas 2000
Norwegian Star 2001
Regal Princess 2002
Sun Princess 2003
Monarch of the Seas 2003
Mercury 2004

I just returned from a Diamond Princess cruise and we snorkeled in Puerto Vallarta. We did the Pirate Ship excursion. The snorkeling was the biggest disappointment of the cruise. Having cruised exclusively in the Caribbean, we were very disappointed in all of the following: the visability (about 5 feet), the limited numbers of fish, the lack of color in the fish, the cold water (and we're from Michigan), the numbers of jelly fish.

We didn't snorkel in Cabo, but the water visibility looked about the same as PV. We are going back to the Caribbean for our next snorkeling adventure!

Disney - Magic 12/98
RCCL - Sovereign of the Seas 6/99
RCCL - Voyager of the Seas 12/00
RCI - Radiance of the Seas 3/02
Celebrity - Summit 3/02
Princess - Coral Princess 3/03
RCI - Radiance of the Seas 12/03
Princess - Diamond Princess 4/04
Celebrity - Infinity 12/04
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=FFA000&cdt=2004;12;05;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

Hello,

Snorkeling in PV and/or Cabo pale in comparison to Caribean/Cozumel/Belize/Hawaii etc... Just not as clear, water is colder and like many other posters have stated the jellyfish in PV will get ya. They are not poisonous (sp?) but they are very annoying. Wouldn't recomend PV or Cabo for snorkeling if you've been to the other places mentioned above.

Our First Cruise:

Carnival Pride 5/16/04

• 2 weeks later...
We snorkled in Cabo in March, and the water was FREEZING cold! It was our first snorkling experience, so we had nothing to compare it to. I LOVED it, my DH HATED it, and my sons liked it ok, but one son did get stung by a jellyfish. Visibility wasn't great, but I did finally find fish, not very colorful though.

Sue

Our First Cruise! Pride 3/21/04

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;3;21;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]

[img]http://www.gifs.net/animate/dolphinsun.gif[/img]

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone done the Chileno Bay Snorkeling Excursion through Princess? I'm more interested in the boat ride and access to the beach than the actual snorkeling since the visibility is not great.

Bobbie

Days until our next cruise - Diamond Princess - April 23, 2005 !!

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2005;4;23;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

Cruises so far:
Norwegian Dawn - April 2004
Norwegian Dawn - April 2003

• 2 weeks later...
I hear chilean is better than Pelican rock, right off of Lovers Beach. Lovers beach is very rough water and difficult to snorkel from. Better off taking a water taxi that will wait for you at Pelican Rock. If you don't make this arrangement, they will not let you past the ropes into the Pelican Rock area, if you are approaching from Lovers Beach! Also-Lover's beach is very primative. suggest taking one way water taxi's. Otherwise you are stuck there for a few hours!

We just got back from our cruise (5/23 - 5/30/04). We snorkeled in Cabo - boy was the water FREEZING!! My husband and his two daughters couldn't stand the water. We took a water taxi to Bahia Santa Maria and Chilenos. I snorkeled for a bit - it was really cloudy and there weren't many fish. The kids had a good time playing in the tidepools at Bahia Santa Maria. Chilenos wasn't as nice as the tidepools weren't as close by. Both beaches were very nice with a lack of vendors.

What I heard from others about Cabo - some people told us they went to lovers beach but it was VERY rough. One couple with small kids said they ended up not even stopping there because it was so rough. Also, some people told us they took glass bottom boat rides (which they loved) for $12/person.

What I heard from others about PV - others on the ship got stung by jellyfish in PV and they said the water was very cold with low visibility.

• 2 weeks later...
Are the Jellyfish always a problem? Is the water always cold? We're sailing in nine days - and love to snorkle.....but I'm not big on cold water. I would have thought the water would be wrm by the end of June......of course - one can't assume anything.
[img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

PRIDE 06/27/04
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;06;27;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]
'004/12 4/12 PRIDE [email]CRUISEajezine@usa.com[/email]
Pride 4/03
Inspiration 7/21/02
Pacific Princess '00
Magesty of the Seas '99
Big Red Boat '98 (cheerleader cruise)
Celebration '97
Norway '91
Southward '88
Sunward II '86
Starward '83

Hello,

I'm afraid that in PV the Jellyfish are hit and miss throughout the year. Water temp along the Mexican Riviera is never as warm as in the caribean, due to currents coming down from the north etc... The Pacific Side of Mexico is not the place for snorkeling/diving.

Our First Cruise:

Carnival Pride 5/16/04

I agree with sbnuggie. From many posts that I have read, the theme is always the same for the Mexican Riviera (cool water and jellyfish). We did the Riviera for the first time in April (after always cruising the Caribbean). Even though the water temperatures are bearable for a limited duration, it is hard to enjoy the snorkeling when you can only see a distance of 3 feet and are constantly looking for jellyfish. While we enjoyed the cruise and ports of call, we are headed back to the Caribbean!

Disney - Magic 12/98
RCCL - Sovereign of the Seas 6/99
RCCL - Voyager of the Seas 12/00
RCI - Radiance of the Seas 3/02
Celebrity - Summit 3/02
Princess - Coral Princess 3/03
RCI - Radiance of the Seas 12/03
Princess - Diamond Princess 4/04
RCI - Voyager of the Seas 5/04
Celebrity - Infinity 12/04
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=FFA000&cdt=2004;12;05;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

[This message was edited by NewWaveDave on 06-19-04 at 12:36 PM.]

Archived