Galveston Disembarkation Train Wreck!!!

canderson

Hi phyl & rob:

We too wanted another New Years cruise on the Grand this year but they are only offering a 7 nighter. We decided to try the Galaxy on their 12 nighter to Panama on April 1st instead.

We sure enjoyed meeting you all on the cruise. It was one of the most fun cruises we've been on. You all still have your t-shirts from the cruise?

Fausto

We too wanted another New Years cruise on the Grand this year but they are only offering a 7 nighter.
I was just looking at your past history on the Rhapsody -- had you considered just LEASING a cabin??? Do they offer some sort of "permanent resident" discount? How'd you happen to spend that much time on one ship?

Well, as a first time cruiser, I found the disembarkation or whatever it's called to be a disaster also. Getting my bags was ok, but waiting for a bus and there were so many people there that looked confused.

I am wondering what Florida will be like.

Softy&SexyFefe

I'm curious -- we "escaped" at about 12:20pm on alternate transportation. Did a 2nd wave of buses ever arrive, and if so, when?

My FAX went out to CC on Tuesday explaining our experience. Will be interesting to see how they respond. This is the worst possible thing to do to a 1st time cruiser like yourself. It can take a perfectly good cruise experience and completely change a person's recollection of it. Rest assured that what we experienced in Galveston on 12/17 isn't typical, but it's not a 1st, either. We had a similar fiasco in Charleston back when Celebrity first started to run cruises from that port. At least the weather was decent that time. I wound up with a nasty cold from this one!!!:mad:

Five of us used a car service coming out of Galvston to Hobby. Cost $25 each including tip. Great ride and the driver pointed out the sites. We were in the airport in 45 minutes.

Tuggers, can you share info on the car service that you used and how you made the reservation? You can email me at horselady295@yahoo.com.

Thanks!

I have just secretly booked the Galaxy for April 13 ( MY Jim's b'day--there seem to be several Jim's here).

Hope you'll come visit us over on the "Roll Call Galaxy April 13, 2006" thread. We have over 20 Cool Cruisers signed up already! :cool:

I think part of the problem may have been that there were 3 ships in port that day. I flew into Hobby on the 17th to catch the Rhapsody on the 18th. Our driver had been to the cruise terminal 6 times that day picking up people off all the ships and he said it was a nightmare. On the 18th, we arrived at the pier at 11:10 (there were only 2 ships that day) and both were already cleared and embarking new passengers. We were onboard by 11:30. We arrived back on Friday the 23rd and we were off the ship and through immigration by 8:15 and to Hobby by 9am. We were the only ship in port that day.

And there have been problems with both the Grand Princess and the Conquest recently with disembarkation, but in both cases, and especially with the Grand Princess, it was the first few cruises after they shifted to Galveston from other ports.

I think part of the problem may have been that there were 3 ships in port that day.
All of the other forms of transportation seemed to be making it to the pier just fine, so I'm not buying the "3 ship" argument just yet.

Still no reply to the FAX from last Tuesday.

All of the other forms of transportation seemed to be making it to the pier just fine, so I'm not buying the "3 ship" argument just yet.

Still no reply to the FAX from last Tuesday.

I wasn't saying that not having buses for all of you wasn't a big screw up on somebody's part. I'm just saying that having 3 ships in port instead of the normal 2 just added to the problem.

Archived