open letter to our fellow passengers

leeuwarden

Another comment is that sometimes smokers did invade the non-smoking side.

I don't care where the smokers go - if their smoke doesn't force others to breathe smoke filled air. I know they have rights to smoke. Where are the rights for people who don't want to deal with stench.

I agree with some of your statements. If you were in a smoking section it was not right for people to make nasty faces towards you. I also agree that it's hypocritical for someone to look down on you when they themselves are not in the best physical condition themselves(i.e. extremely overweight).

I don't feel that someone else's physical condition will harm another i.e. overweight, but sucking in second hand smoke will. But I agree that if OP was in designated smoking area, the non-smokers need to find some place else to congregate. Pretty arrogant of them to act as if they have been encroached upon.

Please don't let the nastiness of people that obviously can't read (designated smoking area) ruin your good time. I don't agree with smoking, came from a big family of smokers....yuck, but if you were following the rules, let those folks take a flying leap:p

I also hate the smoke and the sinus infection that goes along with breathing too much of it however If you are in a smoking section and I choose to be around it then it is my fault. You are just following the rules and it is my choice to be around it or not.

I am not a smoker but, respect persons who do, as long as they are respectful of non-smokers.

Like many things in society, it is ok to lambaste and discriminate against certain groups (smokers and Christians for example) while other groups (drinkers for example) can pursue their vice/interest/lifestyle without fear of reprisal.

Smoking does kill and it is unpleasant for those who don't, but nobody ever killed an entire family after smoking 3 packs. Nobody ever beat their wife or children because they were under the infuence of smoking. No college students ever woke up after a night of heavy smoking to find they had been raped.

Yet uncontrolled drinking is ok. Until the playing field is level, I think smokers should be left alone and given their designated areas. Even though I have severe asthma, I would rather socialize with a group of heavy smokers than heavy drinkers.

How many people that have chastised smokers have been drunk? Is it not a little hypocritical to be so hard on smokers? Does a non-smoking bar smell any better than a smoking bar? Bars and drunks smell bad too.

I'm not chastising those who drink, just pointing out that it can be just as offensive to others and definitely MORE destructive to others than smoking.

But it is acceptable in society to drink in excess of moderation. It's ok to go to work and talk about "how drunk you were last night".

Again, I don't smoke and prefer not to be around it. I don't think I'm better than a smoker, just fortunate to have not started. Smokers are people too. They should have designated places that are free of eye rolling, hand waving, fake coughing and other sorts of pious social retribution.

I absolutely hate the smell of smoke and cannot understand anyone who wants to smoke. Up to 2 years ago I was the only non-smoker in my family, now thankfully, everyone has managed to give the tobacco drug up. :D

I agree that if someone is smoking in a smoking area thats their business and no-one should be commenting on it.

However if a designated area is simply, you can smoke outside, then as a non-smoker I reserve my right to fresh air and not risking the chance of getting cancer simply because a smoker is outside at the same time as myself. Still doesnt mean I would be rude to anyone though.

Its like when you go to Dublin, ok the bars and restaurants have banned smoking which is great, but make sure you hold your breath when walking within 2 meters of any doorway or else you will inhale the equivilant of a whole packet worth of cigarettes from the large numbers of smokers stood outside getting their fix. And if you want to walk through a doorway, make sure you are wearing gas mask and safety goggles to prevent being blinded by the wall of smoke you have to walk through :eek:

For life in general I do not understand restaurants that have smoking & non smoking sections - newsflash smoke travels and if Im sat near the smoking/non smoking devide then I might as well light one up myself.

Archived