Can 18 year old's order beer & wine?

lahoban

When I read the first post I understood the question to be whether this cruiseline allowed 18 year olds and older to partake in the consumption of beer and wine or not. I did not read into it whether it was right or wrong, whether an adult is someone who has made it to 18 or 21, whether some people can tolerate it or not, whether other cultures allow certain ages to consume alcohol or not, whether it is profitable or not, etc ect.

That is all I asked...:)

So here is what I have to remind some people, AN EIGHTEEN YEAR OLD IS CONSIDERED AN ADULT not a minor. They are responsible for there own actions and can even go to a real prison for breaking the law. If they lied while on board (I don't know how they could) or in a bar in order to be served alcohol. Then they would have to be responsible for the consequences.
Unfortunately, that’s not the way it works, especially in California. If a minor is drinking in a bar or restaurant and is caught, the minor is not held responsible – the business owner, those who are on duty and the particular person who served the minor are held responsible by the Alcohol Board of Control and the local police. The same goes for a ship – if a crew member is caught serving someone under the posted minimum age on board, they can be put off the ship. I think it would be great if the minor were held responsible – then the blame would be where it deserved to be, especially if they are lying about their age…but that’s not the case.

One of my friends used to own a bar – one of the bartenders served a minor who had a fake ID. The bar was caught and fined over $5000 and the owners liquor license had one mark against it (three and the license is revoked). The minor walked away with a buzz.

Unfortunately, that’s not the way it works, especially in California. If a minor is drinking in a bar or restaurant and is caught, the minor is not held responsible – the business owner, those who are on duty and the particular person who served the minor are held responsible by the Alcohol Board of Control and the local police. The same goes for a ship – if a crew member is caught serving someone under the posted minimum age on board, they can be put off the ship. I think it would be great if the minor were held responsible – then the blame would be where it deserved to be, especially if they are lying about their age…but that’s not the case.

One of my friends used to own a bar – one of the bartenders served a minor who had a fake ID. The bar was caught and fined over $5000 and the owners liquor license had one mark against it (three and the license is revoked). The minor walked away with a buzz.

Strangely enough I agree with you!

My father inlaw recently sold his family owned bar. You are right, everyone that served the alcohol, employed the bartender or the officer that wasn't able to stop him before he killed the family in the mini van, are to blame. Of course the world that we live in still has the nerve to question what kind of parents and family the young man came from! Unfortunately, even non drinking, responsible families sometimes end up with young adult children that have drinking problems and other issues. :mad:

I am sure you have all heard the joke that drinking onboard a ship is not an age requiement - but a height requirement. If you are tall enough to put the money on the bar, then they will serve you. With onboard revenue paramount - that probably isn't far from the truth!

[

I know I said I was done with this topic, but here goes.

I would also be furious if someone served my minor child alcohol.

Though the question was in regard to an eighteen year old and alcohol being served. Most of the posts included opinions regarding eighteen year olds.

So here is what I have to remind some people, AN EIGHTEEN YEAR OLD IS CONSIDERED AN ADULT not a minor. They are responsible for there own actions and can even go to a real prison for breaking the law. If they lied while on board (I don't know how they could) or in a bar in order to be served alcohol. Then they would have to be responsible for the consequences.

Just something to think about. Hope I didn't add fuel to the already burning out of control fire.

:)

Thank you for finally bringing this up! I am 19 and I am considered an adult. I fully understand that if I try to purchade alcohol with some sort of fake ID I will be prosecuted.

And I really don't see how minors would be served, unless the bartender really doesn't care to be employeed after the current sailing. I ordered a strawberry daiquiri last week on the Grand and didn't say virgin because I assumed he thought I looked under 21. The waiter came back a few minutes later and said he couldn't serve it to me because I was underage. Your name and age are in the computer system.

We just returned from the Sun Princess and my 20 year old daughter was not allowed to buy any alcohol whatsover. The deal is that a parent can pour them wine at supper, but the waitstaff is not allowed to.

We were on the Star over New Year's. My 18 year old was allowed to go into Skywalkers (they did check id as you entered and you had to be 18 to enter with or without your parent) but was not allowed to drink. He was there with a large group of 18-20 year olds and it was made clear they were welcomed in there but would not be served alcohol. They had a great time in there with their soda cards.

For those who think there little 19 year old darlings will be corrupted by being able to order a drink, if you are cruising around europe, a 18 year old can order anything they want, and in the UK a 16 year old can order wine with a meal, and a 14 year old can drink, but not order wine with a meal. In many countries of europe it is notmal to see 11 - 12 year olds enjoying a glass of wine in a restraunt (usually with water added). By age 21, i was married with two school age children, my own house and had completed several active service tours in the british army, i would found have found it very strange to have come home on leave and not been welcome in my local bar!!

It is interesting to note though that the countries with very lax rules regarding alcohol have less problems than those with tight rules.

It is interesting to note though that the countries with very lax rules regarding alcohol have less problems than those with tight rules.

I know you are not talking about the UK. We have massive problems with underage drinking, binge drinking, police and ambulance services being overrun in town centres every weekend due to alcohol induced fights, drinks being spiked, and many young adults starting to suffer from alcohol induced illness such as type 2 diabeties, high blood pressure etc.

Unfortunately when most young adults turn 18 the response is to go out and drink as much alcohol as possible

I agree with the way france educates children about alcohol from an early age so its not such a novelty when they do become of age to legally drink.

However knowing the affects that alcohol has on your body and health I dont agree with letting children drink at an age when their body is still developing.

Archived