Frenchies at Caye Caulker-12/22/2005

GarageTwoThree

We arrived in Belize via the Miracle. The ship was a little late to begin tneder. We planned a Discovery Scuba with Frenchies dive shop at Caye Caulker. When we arrived to the port we walked through the indoor shops and headed out of the big iron gates securing the port. We headed left towards the Caye Caulker water taxi bulding near the Historic swing bridge. whne we arrived we foundwe had just missed the water taxi by 10 minutes so hadto wait till 9:00 for the next.(remember when planning things in Belize that they are central and you are on ships time, eastern). So we lost a bit of time there waiting. After we boarded th boat it was a 45min ride to Caye Caulker. Caye Caulker is a wonderful area that we may go to for a week on its own. We took a golf cart taxi to Frenchies which cost was around $3.00USD. At frenchies we checked in and found out that we were the only ones ding a discovery scuba so it was the instructor, my girlfriend, and me. :D. He gave us a crash course in scuba diving equipment and technique so to say. We suited up and boarded one of the many boats Frenchies had. Alex the instructor took us out by the barrier reef to a shallow spot to try some exercises. The current was pretty strong that day and was difficult to stay in the same spot. My girlfriend not being a very strong swimmer decided it was a little too difficult for her so she decided toboard the boat. The instructor and I continued to scuba dive and saw some great animals inluding a barracuda that was following us for most of the dive. I would love to go to Caye Caulker again and highly recommend Frenchies. I will say this though, I would probably suggest you get cert. before you go so you do not spend your small time there in instruction or just do a snorkel to Caye Caulker from Coral Breeze, Islander had a great time and thought it was amazing. If you are Cert. Imight suggest you plan a trip to Caye Caulker on its own so that you can dive the Blue Hole, lighthouse atoll, and barrier reef over there. Hotel rooms start at 7.00USD a night if you share bathroom and don't mind ceiling fans which is great deal for this great looking island. Alex dropped us right off at the Water Taxi dock and we were headed back to Belize city.

Carlos

e-mail them and ask. Belize is on Central so go to cayecaulkerwatertaxi.com and check their times. BUT remember these are Central Time. Its a 45 min ride to Caye Caulker from Belize city each way. E-mail Frenchies and tell them you are OW cert. See what they can do for you.

Archived